The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I found them - or at least some - on eBay. A Philippines seller currently has a listing for a bunch of mostly 6309 dials and bezel inserts. Looks like there may be a couple of serviceable wabi'd 7040 bezel inserts there for someone that wants to take a risk. It's BIN so I don't think I'm stepping on any toes. Hopefully this is a sign that the puppy farms have realised there is value in their discards.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425655985.107049.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
hey i have bought a few lots like that before...i am not sure why they dont leave them on the watches...

·
Ultimate Collector
3,273 Posts
Ah.... So there they are! I've been wondering what they do with all the original parts they remove.

Perhaps soon they will realise they can get more money for watches with original parts, especially dials, rather than those with all aftermarket parts and over-polished cases. Nearly all of them on ebay are worthless to me.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
from the seller i got mine from...they see very little value in them and most are simply thrown away...that makes me very sad

·
Registered
931 Posts
I use old watch parts.....Not Seiko or Citizen....to make other jewelry.....earrings , charm bracelets , broaches , medals to pin on similar to military , necklaces , and am going to try mobiles and what ever else comes to mind . I also use old singer sewing machine emblems , electronic parts , old remote controls , copper and brass scraps , Quartz stones , old keys ,etc. That's how I got started collecting real watches , by buying old watch part lots .

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
wow...that is a great way to make use of the old parts...great idea...i love any way we can reuse ...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And ladies movements make great cuff links. These I made out of some NOS Tissot movements I got off the bay for $10 a pair.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425685186.374873.jpg

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
wow..that is very cool...great find

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't see why Timex ones wouldn't work. All I did was go to a local store selling jewellery making supplies for the 'findings' - the backs with the hinged bit. They have a flat plate that I then glued to the dial side of the movement (after removing the hands pinions)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Most of those seem salvageable. It's a pity they just didn't use them and went for aftermarket parts. Really kills the watch if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I used to roam around downtown asking each watch stall/shop i see whether they have old divers or at least parts. They (watchmakers) throw them out as they prefer to sell new looking watches. Of course having the tropical climate that we have, most do look garbage :)

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well i have got one lot and they were not too bad..i gave away a few and everyone seems happy so far...

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
hey i would gladly take old parts over bad aftermarket any day..but i agree if they are too bad...you need to find better original parts too

I used to roam around downtown asking each watch stall/shop i see whether they have old divers or at least parts. They (watchmakers) throw them out as they prefer to sell new looking watches. Of course having the tropical climate that we have, most do look garbage :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts