The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the definitive answer for this?
I know the 6309 itself was produced until 1988 but I thought (mistakenly it seems) the cushion back was only made till about '84 whilst the slimmer case design continued till '88. Is it in fact the case though that they made both versions till 1988?
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I don't know the definitive answer but as far as I know there was an overlap of the 6309-704x and -7290 series. The earliest -7290 I have seen are from 1982 and the latest -704x are from 1988 like this one posted by Randall on the old scwf a few years ago:

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
I don't know the definitive answer but as far as I know there was an overlap of the 6309-704x and -7290 series. The earliest -7290 I have seen are from 1982 and the latest -704x are from 1988 like this one posted by Randall on the old scwf a few years ago:

What makes that 1988 and not 1978?
What dial does it have?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I have a 6309-7040 which got a replacement case from Seiko Germany a few years ago and its serial number dates it to 1986 (please ignore the engravings):

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the answers chaps, so it is '88 then interesting. Nice to confirm about the missing 'Japan' on the caseback too, which I think started in '81. I didn't know SEIKO would provide a replacement case though, and caseback? How do you go about getting that?

·
Administrator
30,147 Posts
Thanks for the answers chaps, so it is '88 then interesting. Nice to confirm about the missing 'Japan' on the caseback too, which I think started in '81. I didn't know SEIKO would provide a replacement case though, and caseback? How do you go about getting that?
Ask Santa and pray for the Christmas miracle ? :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah Ok that makes sense if they did it whist they were still in production or shortly thereafter. Thanks for all the info chaps and that is a nice serial Mario (and a nice watch!)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Ah Ok that makes sense if they did it whist they were still in production or shortly thereafter. Thanks for all the info chaps and that is a nice serial Mario (and a nice watch!)
Well according to the previous owner Seiko Germany replaced the case in 2006...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Plausible. Seiko Canada had a "spare" NOS 6105 case lying around not too long ago and replaced somelucky SOBs case.
Yes I asked if they has more. No they didn't.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts