The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all. A week ago I purchased my first vintage watch. A 1976 Seiko 6309-7049. I set the time and have been wearing it daily. It has lost 5 minutes in the past 4 or 5 days. The watch was last cleaned and lubed 14 years ago. But in the past 14 years it has been sitting in a drawer not being used.
Should I just spend the $$$ and get an overhaul?
Also, the hour markers are patina grey and have almost zero luminescence. On an all original watch and considering this was made the first year the 6309-7049's were produced, should I have the markers re-painted or just leave it as is?
I have several Luminox watches if I need to see what time it is in the dark.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
It sounds like it could use a bit of regulation. If there is no funk on the markers leave them alone. Just this man's opinion.

Rob

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
No Leave it the way it is ..........

That's choice on the dial and hands.
I would not touch it at all.
And it is a Hong Kong Dial too.
But it is my looking at it also.
:iagree:, with the above postings also.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Hi IMO a service never hurts and at the very least a gasket change.

As for relume then it is just a personal choice, do you like your present look or not ? me personally i dont like the way yours has faded whereas others will love it so............

One thing i would say and just my personal thought but guys will say leave it as is because it will only be original once and that type of thing but...............you are talking about a 6309, great watch, always popular but not the rarest beast on the planet so do what you like with them and what ever makes you happy :)

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Question, were they produced in HK in 76? I have never seen such an early HK dial.
Not crazy about the gray lume, buttery would be a whole different animal.

Rob

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Leave the Lume as is unless it's a hassle for you, but a service is a must the 150 you spend will see the watch run like a dream for another 40 years.

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
309 Posts
Service and gaskets, maybe a new crystal if you think it would benefit but don't touch the lume. I'd only relume if it had the dreaded spots of black rotten lume in it but since its all an even colour leave it as is. This one's mine and I love the gray -

·
Registered
501 Posts
I would get the movement serviced and a new crystal if need be. The lume looks great the way it is but if you are someone that needs a watch at night to glow then do get it relumed.

IWW does some of the best lume jobs in the US. Also you can get it serviced with him, ABC Watch Werks and Time Essentials are the ones I have used. Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts