The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my quartz regulator (mechanical as well) yesterday and been having a dabble to day with it, some interesting results at the moment.

Checked a few 7As and all show readings of less than 0.20 sec a day variation, my 7548/7546/7549 have shown readings all over the place with one of them showing minus 2.15 seconds a day.

The best i checked was a ladies quartz (my wifes) which was showing minus 0.03 a day.

But imo regulators give you a good idea of whats going on but in real life results can make a bit of a lie of the figures but a great starting point.

I can see me having a lot of fun over the next few months with this bit of kit :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
That is so super cool, words fail me. It looks like it 's from the very early days of quartz watches?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Super cool! Is it still calibrated? My Witschi qt3000 shows a higher/faster reading than it should, so I need to regulate my watches at about +20...

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Super cool! Is it still calibrated? My Witschi qt3000 shows a higher/faster reading than it should, so I need to regulate my watches at about +20...
I don't think it is because the watch maker i bought it from has had it from new but only used the mechanical side of it, he said he tried the quartz side when he first got it 30 odd years ago and that was it.

In all honesty i don't have the foggiest idea how it would or should be calibrated :(

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Spectacular way to while away your hours in retirement Tiger. Congratulations!

I agree with temperature changes and wrist movement this is an indication of accuracy but not the whole story.

Certain GS Quartzes claim +/- 10 seconds per year. That equates to 0.027 s/day. Your wife's watch is right there. Very nice.

You have the envy of a lot of us for sure !

·
Registered
812 Posts
wow nice machine. I remember last year in Bangkok taking my old grand seiko to three different places to get timed and got three different results. Are there some important set up thing like leveling or voltage regulator that would account for the different readings?

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Very nice bit of kit John, you just need to buy an atomic clock to calibrate it! :)
The handbook says it uses an oven controlled (crystal runs at a very finely controlled temperature) 4.32MHz crystal with an accuracy of 0.000000001 ( ten to the power of negative 8). It mentions no calibration procedure - and with the previous stats, I'm not surprised.
The warm-up period of twenty minutes obviously allows the crystal to reach stable temperature.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts