The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......orange juice.

I'll try to give you the Reader's Digest version of this saga...

I sent a 7548-700H back to my customer after a refinish and the damned thing filled with water
somewhere between the ROC and its home. Not just mist or fog but WATER. For the life of me I
have no idea how this happened especially since I replaced all the gaskets as part of the job.
Needless to say it was back in my hands ASAP. The water settled on the lume of the dial and the
hands. Apparently the luminous material used by Seiko is highly hydrophylic. What moisture was
not dissolving the lume had spotted the dial.

Bear in mind, boys and girls, this is the very hard to find orange dial with silver lume surround and
silver hands. Try finding any of these parts of these at your local material house. A flurry of e-mail
inquiries to our friends who have been hoarding parts for years netted me zip, nada, bupkis.
Plan B was to find another 7548-700H for sale. Yeah, right!

Nearly six months after the original debacle, one of these turned up on the Trading Post. YAY!

I snapped this puppy right up as the dial and hands looked great.

And they were. The rest was so-so at best---dinged-up case (normal wear), aftermarket insert,
aftermarket crystal (no frosted bevel) which was not installed properly (the gasket was crushed), and
the stem snapped off at the crown's threaded cup. These are just the facts and not in any way meant
as a criticism of the seller. I think we both knew what we were dealing with.

I made my customer's watch right and sent it back. This time I wrapped it in about a half pound of
clear stretch wrap. It landed without incident and my customer is at last a happy camper.

So now I had the damaged parts of two 7548-700Hs on my bench. What to do?

I gathered some other "lemons" that have been sitting in the dark corners---a slightly flawed
320W10GN00 domed crystal, an aftermarket orange Planet Ocean insert bent in shipping because
the seller did not stiffen the parcel from Hong Kong, a nasty 6309, et. al., crown and set out to do
yet another orange mod.

I stripped and relumed the hands, the meatball broke off the sweep, however. I cleaned the markers
of the dial as best possible and stripped off the damaged lume and replaced it with new material. It's not too bad for a fat old carpenter with shaky hands and iffy eyesight.

The insert was flattened as best I could and will be treated to my jelly-look acrylic overlay later-on.

The crown was milled a bit to remove a few very deep nicks and gouges. The case being not so
great was dramatically reshaped then media blasted to a low-lustre mil. spec. finish. The back was
sterilized and milled with the "great wave" in high polish rather than half blasted.

The bracelet, one of Will Jean's new 22mm mesh is the only part of this exercise that was not in
some way damaged. Much has already been written about these great bracelets with which I
wholly concur. This one was media blasted to match the watch and though the photos don't do it
justice, it looks terrific in the low-lustre finish.

So here you go, a little OJ in the night....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

You know I LOVE all things orange. And you really did well here in my book.
GREAT job, and looks amazing on the mesh. I TOTALLY DIG this. hehe.
Case is smooth as silk. Caseback is cool, interesting treatment.
I got my stuff coming along. Can't wait.
Awesome orange juice you made. LOL.

ps- did you use orange bezel from yobokies? I never thought it match up with Seiko orange, but looks good. ;)
Dave.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sharkfinDave said:
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

You know I LOVE all things orange. And you really did well here in my book.
GREAT job, and looks amazing on the mesh. I TOTALLY DIG this. hehe.
Case is smooth as silk. Caseback is cool, interesting treatment.
I got my stuff coming along. Can't wait.
Awesome orange juice you made. LOL.

ps- did you use orange bezel from yobokies? I never thought it match up with Seiko orange, but looks good. ;)
Dave.
Thanks Dave.....

The insert is from a very marginal quality seller, not well known, and is too light when compared to other A/M PO inserts. This seller, by the way, refuses to properly package his inserts and they always arrive damaged. I've since stopped dealing there.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jason_recliner said:
That looks absolutely fantastic!
Thanks so much, Jason. It's truly an exercise in making something OK out a pile of crap. Except the bracelet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow!! 8)
I think it is amazing how much talent resides at this forum.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You know Jonathan, I'm really not an orange fan, but that has to be the first orange watch that I really liked (and would wear!)! That looks just STUNNING!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Jonathan, how in the heck did it fill with water in transit?! Guess that's the million dollar question, huh? Postal service must be doing some kind of dunk test on packages now.....

Anyway, your restoration (resurrection?) looks great. Awesome job.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Jonathon, you've done a fantastic job! Those "parts" would have wound up languishing in the parts bin of anyone else.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Great title, great story - and great result!

Thanks, I enjoyed the read...

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Jonathan are you trying to steal Lew's title as horological zombie king?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
phil said:
Wow!! 8)
I think it is amazing how much talent resides at this forum.
Thanks, Phil. It's great to be a small cog in this big machine.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
seikomagic said:
Just Great Jonathan, looks a delight that's for sure.
Cheers mate
Thanks, George. I hope all is well in your part of the world. Please give my best to your Dad.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LUW said:
You know Jonathan, I'm really not an orange fan, but that has to be the first orange watch that I really liked (and would wear!)! That looks just STUNNING!
[/quote]

High praise to be sure. Thanks so much, Luciano.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SteveO said:
Jonathan, how in the heck did it fill with water in transit?! Guess that's the million dollar question, huh? Postal service must be doing some kind of dunk test on packages now.....

Anyway, your restoration (resurrection?) looks great. Awesome job.
Thanks, Steve. This mystery will follow me to my grave. My customer told me there was no evidence what so ever of any water contacting the parcel. I can only guess but it may have had something to do with air pressure and/or density while in flight.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TakesALickin said:
Jonathon, you've done a fantastic job! Those "parts" would have wound up languishing in the parts bin of anyone else.
Thanks, Jeff. Love the scrolling banner on your post!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts