The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
29,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or any watch not what it pertains to be for that matter ?

By this I mean how much after market/fake parts do we or will we accept before we can no longer accept our original Seiko (any watch) is an "original" example ?

Personally for me after market/generic gaskets, crystals even some inserts are acceptable but thats about it.

For me even if the parts/spares are stupidly expensive but still available how ever long the search I would go for them or go without rather than fit a after market/fake part.

I can see the day coming where the only option will be after market parts if you want to make a watch look usable but still won't be for me, I would rather go without, anal perhaps but i've been called a lot worse:)

·
Premium Member
9,285 Posts
Hi John - I think these two images sum up your thread. :eek:

However, I think original movement + original case qualify the watch as a Seiko. Those are the two main components IMO. Hands, dial and crown could be considered consumable items based upon how they seem to wear heavier than other parts of the watch and often need replacing.

I think the bigger question (and with heated debate) comes down to what is considered an "original Seiko".

Attachments

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I would say we have to use non OEM gaskets.

Crystals/glass are difficult because we don't really know if they are original or OEM even. I only replace when the old is beyond repair and refinish where possible.

A 3rd party dial would kill it for me BUT replacing a damaged OEM dial with a close OEM equivalent dial, well I have done it once but only when absolutely to only option.

As for movement parts well I would fit OEM from another movement.

·
"The Prospector"
4,522 Posts
For me the movement and case hands dial inserts need to be original, the bracelet \ strap are marginal, the crystal \ gaskets i will accept as A.M. Call me picky ;)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Forgive my nerdiness, but we're far from the first to ask this question outside of the watch context. See here.

I'm among those who generally won't replace anything other than a bracelet/strap with anything non-OEM - keeps things simpler even if harder!

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is the watch fan’s equivalent of the old philosophical problem about replacing every piece of timber on a ship haha.

That being said I’m of the opinion that AM gaskets, crystals and (for applicable models) pusher springs are acceptable. Also bracelets if we’re considering those, as I’ve had some bad luck with original bracelet quality

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I've still got the original gas and oil in my 67 Camaro and the Paint is old and dull but It's all original I tell Ya!

Kidding aside, Original parts are great but I have no problem replacing normal wear parts like crystals + gaskets with "Good Quality" replacement parts. Replacement dials, hands, and bezel inserts are a last resort and I refrain from using them.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I've still got the original gas and oil in my 67 Camaro and the Paint is old and dull but It's all original I tell Ya!

Kidding aside, Original parts are great but I have no problem replacing normal wear parts like crystals + gaskets with "Good Quality" replacement parts. Replacement dials, hands, and bezel inserts are a last resort and I refrain from using them.
I'm with you on this, except I don't own a 67 Camaro. (but I do own a lovely 1970 Dodge Challenger Convertible :))

The only red line for me is dials. I will never accept an am (fake) dial. That's it. I think the aftermarket offers a great service for other items when the quality is right. (similar with classic cars)

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
As soon as anything is replaced it is no longer original to itself, and if not a Seiko part, no longer original. Even gaskets, spring bars, crystals, spring balls. It is restored. Those that think changing a crystal is fine but a relume or bezel change isn't, are hypocrites. :)

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I'm with you on this, except I don't own a 67 Camaro. (but I do own a lovely 1970 Dodge Challenger Convertible :))

The only red line for me is dials. I will never accept an am (fake) dial. That's it. I think the aftermarket offers a great service for other items when the quality is right. (similar with classic cars)

Agreed re AM. It's a boon for Seikos etc as long as people are honest about them.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
As soon as anything is replaced it is no longer original to itself, and if not a Seiko part, no longer original. Even gaskets, spring bars, crystals, spring balls. It is restored. Those that think changing a crystal is fine but a relume or bezel change isn't, are hypocrites. :)

Agreed too :)

I guess some of us have an idea that what can be seen as a service item (s/bars, battery, strap, seals, glass.....etc) can be ok to replace and the watch still be "original".

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Depends weather it is an AM crystal or OEM crystal, that makes a vital difference in your example. I prefer a (lightly) scratched original crystal over an AM one. But i think crystals have always been kind of made as a "consumable" item meant to be changed out. If you look at the number of NOS crystals that Seiko made vs the number of NOS bezels or dials for example, there are a lot more crystals on the market.

Gaskets and spring bars are a whole different story because those are used to keep the watch safe from falling off your wrist and protect against moisture. So for the sake of longevity they should be changed every once in a while. That more than justifies chaging those parts out.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Well, it's not original, nobody denies it ...
The title of the topic is different;) ....
it's still Seiko ... with a non-original crystal, bracelet ....:)

If a man insert a pacemaker, he ceases to be an "original man"?:(

·
Registered
894 Posts
"If a man insert a pacemaker," and it's his own body....he's a super man!!;)

Full consent my friend!

I bought a Japanese knife (Myiabi), I bought a Japanese watch (Seiko), I also bought a Japanese lighter (Corona)
What connects these items?

And they were all made in China ....
Such times .... nomen omen :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts