The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Answer: When you buy one of those watches off the bay that come from India.

My thread creation has been prompted by John's (jringo8769) thread entitled "Well do these Seiko's look familiar to anyone..." and a comment made by Mr.Jones

Advertised as a 6319A, I bought this one as I liked the shape of the case - nice polished sides and a satin finish top - should have done my research first!!!
When you look at the dial, that is wrong. The case back says 6309-8800 and then we have a look inside!! :grin::grin:

My apologies for the poor quality of the photos but I am using a USB microscope and I am still getting to grips with it.

As you can see - hopefully, the movement is an Allwyn A6319 allegedly 21 jewel movement and some idiot has decided to try and scrub out the name Allwyn - failing miserably!!!

The watch cost me £15.99 GBP with free shipping BUT the irony of it all is that the watch is very comfortable to wear and keeps to +1 s/d.

Needless to say it will go into my inventory as a fake.
As the immortal words say - "Caveat Emptor"

I also bought a second one from the same seller. Lord knows what I will find in there :grin::grin:

Regards

David

·
Registered
210 Posts
The watch cost me £15.99 GBP with free shipping BUT the irony of it all is that the watch is very comfortable to wear and keeps to +1 s/d.
What more do you want from a Feiko?! That's more accurate than my originals! I wouldn't get it wet though! :grin:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I think a few of us have been there!:grin:

I still have two of my original purchases from India (about 3 years ago, before I knew better)

This one works perfectly and keeps good time. Dial, case back and movement all seem to match up.

Again, this one is fine, though I wear it as a beater.

All the others I bought just fell apart, one of them in transit !

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
I googled Allwyn, and found this on Wiki

Hyderabad Allwyn entered the watch business in 1981 in collaboration with Seiko of Japan to manufacture Automatic and Quartz watches. Till then the Central Government run HMT was the sole market leader for wrist watched in India[6] Allwyn along with HMT and Titan Industries had dominated the Indian watch market with almost 10% of the market share.[7] Hyderabad Allwyn Limited in 1987 gave A. R. Rahman, who was then still known as Dileep his first break in advertising when he was asked to compose the jingle for a new range of watches known as Allwyn Trendy Watches.[8] [9].

Looks like the Allwyn A6319 is really a Seiko 6319A made in India. I wonder if parts will interchange?

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
wow...that is great info...and hey you got a very unique 6319 for sure...great find...and hey it is another version of Seiko too...we all learned something new today...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info Ivor - at least the movement has some form of pedigree :(:(

I took photos of the other one also advertised as a 6319A. This one cost me £10.99 GBP again with free shipping.
The dial again is wrong - states 7005 - and I have only just realised that the Seiko logo is out of kilter!!!!

The only good thing about it is that it appears to be a genuine Seiko 6439A movement.

Methinks that if I buy from India in future, I'll stick with HMT's, but even then they get messed about.

Regards

David

·
Registered
359 Posts
is there a way to send them back and get your money back? or is this the site that ships free so you WON'T ship it back at considerable expense?

as an aside: i've often looked at the offerings from many sites in india. WOW! can they ever f&*k up a dial face. whoa boy! i just saw one today that has some kind of gray paint around the OUTSIDE of the crystal. i wonder what kind of illegitimate surprise lurks inside. some of the sites have some cool watches, but i think most of the items are some bodhisatva pipe dream with the wierd colors and "refinished" dials.

full disclosure here: i DID buy a citizen from one of them (rare, vintage) and i was notified that one of his employees damaged it while packing it. he will fix it for free, but it will take an extra five days. or, i could pick out any citizen of my choice in his inventory. i said i'll wait the 5 days for my prize. we'll see what happens.

·
Special Member
7,357 Posts
I see that dial in the OP and I tell myself it's a bad repaint but could be wrong.

I bought a Mumbai special 6138 and it had a Russian Poljot movement - totally not working - live and learn. I learned alright - no more cheap watches from these same India-based sellers. That said, I have no issue with a seller in India per se, just the guys with dozens of $10-$20 watches.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is there a way to send them back and get your money back? or is this the site that ships free so you WON'T ship it back at considerable expense?
It's one of the free shipping sellers and given what the watches cost, I wouldn't bother sending them back.

full disclosure here: i DID buy a citizen from one of them (rare, vintage) and i was notified that one of his employees damaged it while packing it. he will fix it for free, but it will take an extra five days. or, i could pick out any citizen of my choice in his inventory. i said i'll wait the 5 days for my prize. we'll see what happens.
It would be interesting to see that one when it turns up. Hopefully you'll make a thread on it.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
hey that 23 jewel one is a 6349a and those are quite nice..i have one of those movements...great find...they are not common here

·
Registered
136 Posts
I took the plunge and took the risk on a 6309 8360, Has not arrived yet but the sellers pics looked gen enough . listing 261783179773.
Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well making sweeping generalizations is not fair...i have bought many watches from all over the world...and the few i have bought from India are just as nice as others...there are bad sellers no matter location...you have to make sure what you buy no matter where the location....God Bless John

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
i'll do a thread on it when it gets here.

if it's not all original, i'll thrash them on the feedback.

I complained about the poor quality of one of my Indian purchases (the secondhand had come off in transit) and they sent me this as compensation.

It's a whole heap nicer than the Seiko I originally bought and actually works !:grin:

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
wow...you gotta love a blue dial....this was one of my favorites...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts