The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Special Member
7,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a very much in need of TLC 1-owner 6139-6005 as shown. It came on the OEM bracelet which is in good shape. What it needs are the proper stem for the inner rotating ring feature (thank you Killsnapz!), crown (from a previous 6139 I once bought for parts only), an NOS crystal, and pusher springs and gaskets. Since I had all these parts in my parts cache so it seemed like a match made in heaven. All I need to do now is clean it up and install new hour & minute hands. The inner ring is completely faded to gray but the silver markings are 100% intact so I am not changing that.

Since I cannot adjust the time without a crown, I decided just for fun to wait until the exact right time of day was shown and then shook it to get it going.

After 24 hours it was 1 second slow. Now that's amazing.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
hey if you ever want to sell the old crystal...let me know...i would gladly take it...great find...my 6139 6009 is one of my most accurate watches...hey remember the thread about dying the inner chapter ring too..ClockBloke did it last year...that will help it look like new again...God Bless John...that is a gorgeous find...

·
Registered
912 Posts
Clockbloke used a black spirit based dye for woodwork (but please check that out and don't quote me) I have used yellow rit dye for the yellow ones and loved the initial result...was ok with the final result, but have not tried it for probably a good year now. I think someone recently mentioned they have tried black rit dye to good effect.
The theory is that the dye goes into the plastic because it is porous but not into the paint (silver markers) because that is not porous. The Lume would be ruined I'm sure, it would need to be removed and new put back (not great if it is a lovely Lume triangle to start with).
I've often thought about vinyl spray / dye but not tried it.
I don't recommend this BTW just that it is maybe interesting to you.

Edit. Chevere! It was you was it not that mentioned the black rit dye??!!
P.s. How are you and how's the strap making coming along?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Clockbloke used a black spirit based dye for woodwork (but please check that out and don't quote me) I have used yellow rit dye for the yellow ones and loved the initial result...was ok with the final result, but have not tried it for probably a good year now. I think someone recently mentioned they have tried black rit dye to good effect.
The theory is that the dye goes into the plastic because it is porous but not into the paint (silver markers) because that is not porous. The Lume would be ruined I'm sure, it would need to be removed and new put back (not great if it is a lovely Lume triangle to start with).
I've often thought about vinyl spray / dye but not tried it.
I don't recommend this BTW just that it is maybe interesting to you.

Edit. Chevere! It was you was it not that mentioned the black rit dye??!!
P.s. How are you and how's the strap making coming along?
Yup! I used a navy blue rit powdered dye and I dipped the ring carefully. I should've documented the process but I was trying so hard not to ruin the ring that I just thought I better focus and concentrate.

Here's a before and after.

Strap making is going quite well! I've been relatively successful selling them on Etsy and I'm still enjoying learning about leathercraft. I've recently taken to making a few other items as well such as camera cases and straps. It's a great therapeutic exercise!

·
Registered
912 Posts
That's great Jason, I wish you every success...
Here's a very quick pic of my messy desk as I sit in my hotel room (this is normal behaviour right?). All are practice bits.

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
Anyway, sorry to tangent OP. Thats a pretty good result tor the inner bezel I think Jason- I'd be keen to know how you felt it looks in a year or two... When did you do it?

And it really is a great find OP, I'm sure you will take good care if it!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Anyway, sorry to tangent OP. Thats a pretty good result tor the inner bezel I think Jason- I'd be keen to know how you felt it looks in a year or two... When did you do it?

And it really is a great find OP, I'm sure you will take good care if it!
Looking at the date of the photo, it was January 2014. So, a year in and it looks essentially the same without further degradation.

·
Special Member
7,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This RIT dye thing is unbelievable! I'm trying to wrap my head around the risk of destroying a perfectly faded 100% markings intact rotating ring for the upside of a perfectly restored black version that would enhance the watch incredibly.

Choices like this make my head hurt !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts