The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the discussion about getting or not the MM300 on Jeje's hijacked thread (mea culpa :eek: ), I was thinking about this. When do you actually go overboard with the watch thing? Ok, I'm obviously not referring to the guy who gets into debt because of the hobby, since then it would be something truly pathological, but us "normal" and sensible guys. When and how do you keep things sane ::) ?

Obviously price is something adamant, since I wouldn't go on a Rollie buying spree even if I wanted to, because just I don't have the means. But besides something obvious like that, what puts you in check? I know some people have a number limit ("I can only have X watches - if one comes, one must go") and some people put a price cap on how much he/she can spend on one watch or on watches in certain amount of time. Let's face it, like all other hobbies, watches are just a fancy, nothing really important or essential, so how do you avoid going overboard?

Having a wife helps ;D , but being honest, at least for me I have to do a personal moral check whenever I want to dump money on a hobby even when I can get away with it without needing approval from SEC. For those who didn't follow Jeje's thread, this all started because I said that I could buy a MM300 locally and for a good price but was a bit uncomfortable with the idea just because I got a very nice watch (O300) and will get another in a couple of weeks (OS Retrograde). The problem with hobbies is that they are very selfish, and though I consider myself to be very reasonable in my spendings and do not "burn money", whatever value I invest in a watch is for me only. One thing that helps me rationalize the investment is trying to buy expensive watches only in special occasions. For instance, the O300 was a birthday gift, and the Retrograde, along with another Orient for my wife, will be a sort of present for us for our 10th wedding anniversary in September.

Since there are no more important dates for me this year, the MM300 would have to be my Christmas gift :-[ . Totally silly, I know, but as I said it helps me accept the fact that I'm basically blowing away money on something totally selfish. And yes, if I bought the MM300, it would sit in it's box all the way to Xmas, I wouldn't even give it a peek. Oh, I can do it, I've done it before many times - the O300 arrived in May, and I only saw it on July 2nd. Our wedding anniversary is only on September 23rd, so it will be a while until I can truly say that have a Retrograde ;D . Go ahead, call me a masochist, but besides rationalizing things for me, it makes me want the watch even more, so it's more treasured when I finally get it.

So far that has kept me from saying that I went overboard with this watch thing. How do you guys do it?

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Having a wife helps.

Also, my rule is that if I buy something, I must have sold something to pay for it. I'm trying to make my collecting a closed circuit. Ideally, I want to keep my collection under ten, but that's an unachievable dream. I'm way over that now, and so far I don't see anything stopping me.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
there's no such thing as going overboard =) buy what you like, when you like. if you can still eat, all is good.

<* shark >>><

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
thesharkman said:
there's no such thing as going overboard =) buy what you like, when you like. if you can still eat, all is good.

<* shark >>><

I just bought TWO MORE chronos. :eek:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
In my case, when I realized I had more than 100 watches. :-[
It's not so much the expense, because most of them were < $100, and only one cost me > $500. It's just the sheer number of watches.
Do I feel guilty or bad about it ? No! O:)
Now it's just a collection, like some people collect coins, I collect Japanese watches.
Cheers,

·
Registered
772 Posts
Lol, blame it on me hahaha

Well I think having more than one watch is kinda going overboard so... :mad:
Why would I need more than one??
Then the want comes in... :-[

I'm f***ed...

;) Having a wife does help.

Life is short and I have had way worse hobbies now I'm almost an O:)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hey Luciano, you have much self control and discipline than most. Including me. lol.
As I stated in other thread, I did go overboard and slightly ashamed. hehe. :-[
I think back and see what I've amassed, and slightly shocking. I blame this on my poor self control and inpatient lust for the next.
I've since reflected and hoped to learn from my journey, and become more focused on a direction and particular goals now. I think most will go through similar events as a rite of passage in this WISdom we all seek.
I certainly see my acquisitions maturing and growing with much more thought as of late. So,for me, less collector pieces, and more grail type with significance. Flipping to scale the herd and fund the those grails. ;)
Luciano, you already focus on your collections with much thought and with significance that is sentimental. Very WISe of you IMO. Also the fact you do not stray, and show much discipline and focus. For example, you stay clear from g-shocks. Smart, I caught the bug, but trying to remedy that or at least keep g-shocks in check.
I've learned much, and had lots of fun along the way. I feel ready to move to the next level and have more focus and be much more selective with more thought and patience. I hope I stay on track to this plan. I have strayed before, but time will tell. ::)
I feel this is not new around here, and most can attest to having gone down the same road. But maybe i'm wrong and I'm just an obsessed nutcase here. :D
I think you're on the right track with a great attitude. Family first, watches come later. ;)

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Jeje3325 said:
Lol, blame it on me hahaha

Well I think having more than one watch is kinda going overboard so... :mad:
Why would I need more than one??
Then the want comes in... :-[

I'm f***ed...

;) Having a wife does help.

Life is short and I have had way worse hobbies now I'm almost an O:)

Yes I do blame you JeJe, LOL. :))

You're still a great guy, and love to talk shop with you anytime. :)

Can I borrow some of your watches? LOL. :p

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I can't wait to see that retrograde. What color did you get?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I work off a budget. Try to keep the price to a specific window. Limit the wearers to 10. Not hard and fast rules, but I stick to them as much as possible. Stick to my rules and I'll never feel bad about a purchase.

·
Registered
772 Posts
sharkfinDave said:
Yes I do blame you JeJe, LOL. :))

You're still a great guy, and love to talk shop with you anytime. :)

Can I borrow some of your watches? LOL. :p

Cheers, Dave.

Lol see ya on Saturday my friend!

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
My set limit is 10, max 12 :-*

It is very easy to get sucked in and carried away with the hype from the forums. The watch hobby is extremely emotional and logic/reasoning does not play a big part in it :))

Plan your purchases and take your sweet time. Part of the fun is to be disciplined and know when to say "no" no matter how good a watch deal might even be.

If watches are added, some have to go. There is no way around it. I like to wear my watches, not keeping drawer/safe queens. I do not understand that kind of collecting.

My recommendation to LUW is to fully savor his new beauties. The OS300 is a drool inducing watch that should keep you entertained for a while. Ditto for the Orient Star Dr. Savor them, enjoy them, spend time with them. Another opportunity to get a MM300 will come knocking down the door. It is not like Seiko will stop making them tomorrow ;)

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
The irony of collecting lots of "affordable" watches is that guys suddenly find themselves inundated with 50-100 watches. They say they can't afford or never pony up to pay for a high end "grail" but when they grab a calculator and start adding up the watch inventory, they soon realize they have $10K, $15K, $20K or more invested in watches.

Some people after finding out the small fortunes they have invested in "cheap" watches come to realize they can sell 1/2 of their collection and buy 1 or 2 really nice grails. My collecting experience so far dictates that "less is more". Some may disagree and that is OK. Everyone's collecting goals and habits are different. Today I enjoy having 7-8 watches a lot more than having 18-20 inside a drawer.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
sharkfinDave said:
Hey Luciano, you have much self control and discipline than most. Including me. lol.
As I stated in other thread, I did go overboard and slightly ashamed. hehe. :-[
I think back and see what I've amassed, and slightly shocking. I blame this on my poor self control and inpatient lust for the next.
I've since reflected and hoped to learn from my journey, and become more focused on a direction and particular goals now. I think most will go through similar events as a rite of passage in this WISdom we all seek.
I certainly see my acquisitions maturing and growing with much more thought as of late. So,for me, less collector pieces, and more grail type with significance. Flipping to scale the herd and fund the those grails. ;)
Luciano, you already focus on your collections with much thought and with significance that is sentimental. Very WISe of you IMO. Also the fact you do not stray, and show much discipline and focus. For example, you stay clear from g-shocks. Smart, I caught the bug, but trying to remedy that or at least keep g-shocks in check.
I've learned much, and had lots of fun along the way. I feel ready to move to the next level and have more focus and be much more selective with more thought and patience. I hope I stay on track to this plan. I have strayed before, but time will tell. ::)
I feel this is not new around here, and most can attest to having gone down the same road. But maybe i'm wrong and I'm just an obsessed nutcase here. :D
I think you're on the right track with a great attitude. Family first, watches come later. ;)

Cheers, Dave.

+1

As usual, great words of wisdom from our friend, Dave.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
minidriver said:
The irony of collecting lots of "affordable" watches is that guys suddenly find themselves inundated with 50-100 watches. They say they can't afford or never pony up to pay for a high end "grail" but when they grab a calculator and start adding up the watch inventory, they soon realize they have $10K, $15K, $20K or more invested in watches.

Some people after finding out the small fortunes they have invested in "cheap" watches come to realize they can sell 1/2 of their collection and buy 1 or 2 really nice grails. My collecting experience so far dictates that "less is more". Some may disagree and that is OK. Everyone's collecting goals and habits are different. Today I enjoy having 7-8 watches a lot more than having 18-20 inside a drawer.
I remember a guy on WUS Affordables who was a Zodiac nut. He had over 100 of them, I believe. One day he picked a few of his favorites and started selling off the rest. Before he was even finished he bought himself a Breitling!

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
nhoJ said:
I remember a guy on WUS Affordables who was a Zodiac nut. He had over 100 of them, I believe. One day he picked a few of his favorites and started selling off the rest. Before he was even finished he bought himself a Breitling!

Yes I remember him. I think he got himself a new Navitimer and never looked back. While the instances of collectors that one day decide to sell their large collections and buy 1 or 2 expensive ones are fairly rare, they are there. Back in WUS I remember another guy that sold off all his 15-20 watches (He had very nice ones in that mix) to pursue a new Rolex. He never looked back either.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Yes, inquiring minds want to know.

As much as I like that Orient retrograde, this one remains my all time favorite and fairly affordable at around USD $430 delivered from the land of the raising sun:

[img]

I just love that sucka! O0 Damn! You all are enablers! All this blah, blah about self control, discipline....arrghhhhhh!!! :))

[quote=nhoJ]
I can't wait to see that retrograde. What color did you get?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I work off a budget. Try to keep the price to a specific window. Limit the wearers to 10. Not hard and fast rules, but I stick to them as much as possible. Stick to my rules and I'll never feel bad about a purchase.
[/quote]

·
Registered
821 Posts
To me, now I am trying to get into the mood of 'less is more'.... :p

I used to have so much watches and yes I will use a calulator to tally up how much I've spent on the lot..its quite a sum(I am sure many of you guys realises this).. and I will always plan to sell some for a nice watch that will be a wearer rather than 'cupboard occupant'.. May not be able to get the funds enough for a grail so I will target at getting 75% of the money ready by selling those 'cupboard occupants' to fund/upgrade to a wearer. Rest of funds is by topping up.This way I will feel less guilty.

The buying will never stop for most of WIS..even for what promises we made,so ask yourself....'this time round,do I need a wearer or 'collectable'? Watches come and go,what you may have missed on a good deal/rare+ dream watch will appear before you again.. unless its a ultra limited production(say under 50)...

·
Registered
994 Posts
For me I buy what I like within a reasonable budget. It is more the hunt to find the right deal. It is very difficult for me to pay more than $200 on a watch. I have about 60 right now with 1/3 of those being modern watches. It helps that my Wife collects everything by Stephen King. She has books that are worth several hundred and a poster that is quite collectible. One just like it recenctly sold for $1500 on eBay.

Derek

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
RallyDiver said:
For me I buy what I like within a reasonable budget. It is more the hunt to find the right deal. It is very difficult for me to pay more than $200 on a watch. I have about 60 right now with 1/3 of those being modern watches. It helps that my Wife collects everything by Stephen King. She has books that are worth several hundred and a poster that is quite collectible. One just like it recenctly sold for $1500 on eBay.

Derek

Derek, but realize that you have $12,000 invested in watches. You may have a hard time paying more than $200 for one, but you have a small fortune invested nevertheless.

You can buy at least 3-5 expensive grails with that much cash. ;)

As a side bar.... This is one aspect of this hobby that gets me every time. Some folks say a certain watch "is too expensive" yet they have thousands of dollars sitting inside a drawer or watch case. :-[

1 - 20 of 41 Posts