The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An old fella called tonight answering my WTB on Gumtree for vintage Seikos and said he had an old Seiko I might be interested in. All he could tell me was that it had the number 371911 on the back and definitely no other numbers. Black dial with silver indices, day and date and automatic. I'm guessing that it's a seventies dress watch, but I'm curious about the lack of movement and case number. Was there a time pre or post 70s where they only displayed a serial number?

Of course, I asked if he had a camera phone, to which he responded I'm 74!

Says he has 100s of vintage and pocket watches so he could be a good guy to get to know.

He's dropping around later in the week.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 7s26b.

So the chances are that it's a dress watch from 1973.

The seller says it's in excellent condition and it was handed down to him about 12 years ago, so I assume that any movement/model numbers haven't simply been polished off the caseback.

I'm dreaming that it's something special (grand seiko!), but I think I'm going to be underwhelmed (7005/7006/7009 dress).
I've looked at the catalogues for 1973/74 and there isn't much in a dress black dial with stainless case that inspires lust.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Thanks 7s26b.

So the chances are that it's a dress watch from 1973.

The seller says it's in excellent condition and it was handed down to him about 12 years ago, so I assume that any movement/model numbers haven't simply been polished off the caseback.

I'm dreaming that it's something special (grand seiko!), but I think I'm going to be underwhelmed (7005/7006/7009 dress).
I've looked at the catalogues for 1973/74 and there isn't much in a dress black dial with stainless case that inspires lust.
Remember that Seiko catalogues are region specific, and don't cover the entire range.

·
Registered
709 Posts
dating

Could also be 1983. Seiko watches without case/model numbers are unusual but most common in the 80s where a smaller minimalistic desig was used.

- martin

·
Registered
189 Posts
As far as I know, from, at less, 1964, all watches from Seiko show their model reference number on the caseback.

There are watches from 1962-63, as Silverwaves, that haven't. And earlier models (I own a golden Champion calendar from 1960) used to have just a serial number.

Dial and caseback photos may help.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The seller is dropping around tonight so I'll know then. Whether I buy it or not, I'll take some pictures and post here. Thanks for taking an interest guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts