The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after letting a 6309 go because it probably wasn't all it claimed to be, here's my catch of the day:

A Seiko 5 Quartz...? Didn't the 5 stand for 5 virtues, one being auto-winding?

Oh, and that strange square thing to the right...

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
hey that looks great...i got mine very early this am...another Ramon special...i really like the one to the right...looks nice

Attachments

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 7016-5011 ("Monaco") - on the original bracelet, too. :)
The seller had one line of text:
"2 old Seiko the automatic runs the Seiko 5 (maybe battery) condition see pictures"

Some other watch fan had found it, as the price went up in the last second. Still considered "cheap" I guess. And a free 5Y13-8000, too. :)

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
so Mr. Jones did you buy them?...

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, of course! Now begins the agonizing wait for delivery ;)

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
well that is the hardest part....well you did very well..can't wait for the pics

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I bought this butt ugly thing for the working V157 movement inside. It arrived today and the whole watch is in almost like new condition. I'm still going to rip it apart as I have a nice sample case I purchased waiting for this movement. This watch is the size of a dive watch and I have to say it has one fo the ugliest dials I have ever seen on any Seiko. Which is good because I will not feel as bad when I break it down into parts. A nice surprise is the mint bracelet that I'm sure I can use that I was not expecting. I paid $50 bucks for it.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
ooooohhhh....i like those beads of rice in the pic....looks like a great watch too...wow...Mike i have that same mat too...found mine in the trash....love it

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
ooooohhhh....i like those beads of rice in the pic....looks like a great watch too...wow...Mike i have that same mat too...found mine in the trash....love it

Yeah I have several busted bracelets that I have had forever that just need to be reassembled and refinished into complete bracelets. I have enough parts to make two more good bead of rice bracelets. they are the most comfortable bracelet to wear in my opinion. I have 4 of the mats covering the surface of my workbench all attached together. The mats make the perfect surface for working on watches. I have seen other here have them too.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
well i agree...those mats are the best...i have three of those beads of rice bands too...i need to get them into the ultrasonic...i got one more incoming..i hope to make two out of them...i just had one beads of rice on a watch that was way too small...never had a watch with them on it..

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My catch of the day is this 6139 7070 I spotted on GumTree over the weekend. Price was good and I had to fight hard for the seller to agree to post instead of waiting for a local transaction. He says all functions work but the crystal is scratched and chipped at the edges. Unfortunately I didn't realised that crystals for this model are completely impossible to get (not one currently listed for sale anywhere on the interweb). Let's hope it's not too bad. Tracking says it should be in my post box when I get home tonight.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423530684.923719.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423530697.839914.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Tritto...great find...if you need to find a crystal...we will find you one..dont worry..

My catch of the day is this 6139 7070 I spotted on GumTree over the weekend. Price was good and I had to fight hard for the seller to agree to post instead of waiting for a local transaction. He says all functions work but the crystal is scratched and chipped at the edges. Unfortunately I didn't realised that crystals for this model are completely impossible to get (not one currently listed for sale anywhere on the interweb). Let's hope it's not too bad. Tracking says it should be in my post box when I get home tonight.
View attachment 149450
View attachment 149458

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
John that was a steal for that watch...great buy

This Lord Quartz, subject of my post earlier today, at $20.50 a mega bargain for a beautiful watch :cool:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
View attachment 149450
View attachment 149458

Man that is going to be a tough crystal to find. 335mm crystals are very uncommon for Seiko watches. I have never even heard of that part number. Just keep that number in your head and your eyes open and one day one will show up. It took me well over a year to find an unusual crystal for a Seiko 4004 It was a 330W25GN00. A very unusual shaped one. it had sides like a diver crystal with frosted bevel and used a diver type locking ring that locked from the top. The inside of the crystal was curved but the top was perfectly flat and the very edges were also beveled in so there was nothing I could even substitute. Man was I happy when a UK seller listed three of them. I bought all three even though I only needed two!

Mchael

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Man that is going to be a tough crystal to find. 335mm crystals are very uncommon for Seiko watches. I have never even heard of that part number. Just keep that number in your head and your eyes open and one day one will show up. It took me well over a year to find an unusual crystal for a Seiko 4004 It was a 330W25GN00. A very unusual shaped one. it had sides like a diver crystal with frosted bevel and used a diver type locking ring that locked from the top. The inside of the crystal was curved but the top was perfectly flat and the very edges were also beveled in so there was nothing I could even substitute. Man was I happy when a UK seller listed three of them. I bought all three even though I only needed two!

Mchael

I've got my eBay searches set up already :) There are some posts that suggest you can take an alternative crystal and bond the bezel ring from the original crystal to it. Not sure what that crystal might be, but PollyC has done it so I will probably contact him and ask all about it.

We'll see how good the watch is before I embark on a year long search.

This is 6138/6139 chrono no. 8 and two already require service so throwing another fixer-upper on the list might have been a little rash. It does have the benefit(?) of being one of the rarer ones I believe.

I've had very moderate success polishing a crystal with various grades of wet and dry followed by cromium oxide and then diamond paste. Not perfect but a big improvement to a heavily scratched crystal. If the crystal top is flat rather than domed this is more likely to work. Many hours by hand and the result can't replace a new crystal, but if no crystal is available ...

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tell me about it. I've got two Jumbos who need 36.5mm crystals in an unusual setup with bonded bezel... One is actually a nice replacement, but the glue is spread uneven and it looks like s**t :(

Edit: and don't get me started on that Time Sonar back...

·
Registered
178 Posts
3 catches for me

I had 3 catches over the weekend on a shopping expedition in a nearby town.
The first was a Casio Wave Ceptor from an antique shop for a very reasonable price.
The second was a Ferrarri ripoff for £2.99 from a charity shop. New and unused, all the subdials are fake but I figured the strap was worth what I paid. The amusing thing is that it still has a price tag attached for 99.90 euros. I am wondering who paid that.
The third was a Looping 8 day travel clock in a crocodile skin case. Lovely condition and keeping good time for £2

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well, after letting a 6309 go because it probably wasn't all it claimed to be, here's my catch of the day:

A Seiko 5 Quartz...? Didn't the 5 stand for 5 virtues, one being auto-winding?

Oh, and that strange square thing to the right...
Brilliant :)
Email seen, i'll message you back later. Fantastic pick up!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts