The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one or two "sentimental" watches like my first Bell matic and my 6105 and 6309 but this humble and cheap Lorus belonged to my dad who's only interest in watches was to tell the time !! what a strange reason to have a watch but that was my Dad :)

Looked in my box for something else today and noticed the battery had died and while changing the battery it brought back all those memories from way back when i was a kid, bugger it brought tears to my eyes even at my age.

ps: I have never changed the old and dirty strap or cleaned the DNA from the watch its self, just never been able to bring myself to do it ???

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I'll never part with my late grandfather's two-tone Timex dress watch or my great grandfather's Elgin pocket watch. That reminds me that I should take some photos of those.

I'll also probably always own an SKX007. I don't think I'll part with my 8L35-0010 Marine Master, but never say "never", as they say.

Best,
Myles

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
That's easy (I think)

Neither of my 2 Anantas.

Neither of my 2 Citizen Attesas

Neither of my 2 Seiko SARBs

My Citizen 2100 and new Seiko Spirit Radiowave Digital are keepers too.

I think my whole collection is here to stay :)

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
My 7548 in a 6309-7049 case. I had a 7548-700b as the movement donor and sourced the case, domed glass, new gaskets and bezel insert. I lightly refinished the case, put it all together and am pretty happy with it.

The only reason that it would never leave my collection is that it's a project I did myself. I have many watches that are much move valuable but this one's special.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i have a couple of watches that will never leave...1st is my 7548works in a 6309 case... my 3rd most favorite person in the world made that for me (my brother- marks) the second is my modded 6309 with the calif dial. i just like the looks on that.... :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
I have one or two "sentimental" watches like my first Bell matic and my 6105 and 6309 but this humble and cheap Lorus belonged to my dad who's only interest in watches was to tell the time !! what a strange reason to have a watch but that was my Dad :)

Looked in my box for something else today and noticed the battery had died and while changing the battery it brought back all those memories from way back when i was a kid, bugger it brought tears to my eyes even at my age.

ps: I have never changed the old and dirty strap or cleaned the DNA from the watch its self, just never been able to bring myself to do it ???

Mother passed away recently at aged 92 and she had worn her Gucci as the last breathes faded away.......
My sister took a lock of hair.....I asked for Mom's watch.....crazy of me?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I re-read the rules (whats your ONE watch...) and so I modded my post down to this one....

I completely restored this old 5126 and even relaid the chrome on the hour markers by hand. I just love how it turned out and can't see me getting rid of it. I am still looking for an original bracelet now for about a year...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ouch, this is a tough one for me, I love my Orange Monster to death and it's probably the watch I wear the most. But it's hardly irreplaceable, so I guess I could let that one go to raise some funds for another purchase and get a new one later.

My all original 6105-8119 gets very limited time but I really couldn't see myself part from that one, for now at least... ::)

I don't think I'll ever sell my 6138-0011 Yachtsman, but it's not that it's unique in any way.

But the one that's truly unique would be my lovely beat-up 6309-729A, here posing with my Steinhart Sub-alike:

I just love the bleached insert in combination with the badly mistreated dial and hands, in combination it's just irresistable to me! :))

Cheers! :)
Daniel Z.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Three different ones. From left to right:

• 1902 Omega pocketwatch in rose gold and sterling silver, brought on the boat to this country with my great-great-grandmother. Quadruple-signed.
    1910 Tiffany lapel watch, solid gold, given to my great-grandmother by my great-great grandfather when she was a débutante. Tiffany-marked 17j movement.
    1960 Girard Perregaux Gyromatic, 14k solid gold, grandfather's retirement watch.

All are in perfect running condition.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discounting family heirlooms, I'd have to say that no watch has given me the same level of satisfaction as the SBDX001. And I've owned 170+ watches. This one just does it for me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My father's Omega Seamaster 565 with custom 22k bracelet with our family name.

He got it some time in '68 after winning a lottery =)

Never serviced, and still running strong!

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
There are two for me.....This Mickey Mouse belonged to my father-in-law. He and his wife wore matching mickey watches for years. After his funeral my mother-in-law handed me the watch and said he would have wanted me to have it.

and then this one ......It is my first Seiko.......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, I was about to post... and I realized I don't have anything as significant or as rich in sentimental value as the rest here.

Nice story, Thian. I teared up a little, too!

Oh wow. Gentlemen. Turn away as I dry my eyes!

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
^-^ John.Nice thread.Some great stories here and i would like to contribute with my watches i wont get rid of.

OMG what a decision with all ive got as they all have their reasons for being in my posession.

Ok Ok.I wont ever sell my Totally overhauled Seiko Arnie as it took me too long to get it and although it was beaten to a pulp when i bought it for peanuts off the bay David Baxter did the unthinkable and sourced all new parts including the hands,gaskets,bezel insert,crystal etc to make it what it is today after i lost my original in 1987 tiling my bathroom.So thats one i vowed never to sell.

My Other is my Omega Chronograph Seamaster which was bought for me by my Ex Partner for my 4oth Birthday.

All my other watches i would love to say i wont pass on in the future but then again who knows.Its not the end of the world if they move on.Im just glad i have the money to keep doing what im doing and appreciate everyone i buy.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
^-^ I Love all my watches, but if I had to hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ??? my work watch, it's been to many part's of the world with me. Bob

1 - 20 of 36 Posts