The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they interchangeable?
I've got a modified SKX031 with a 7S36B which is very sluggish. I've also got a spare 7S26B, which works fine. I'm going to service the 36B, but, if I can't fix it, will the 26B drop straight in?

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Yes, they are directly swappable if both are from watches with the 3 o,clock crown or both from watches with the 3:18(roughly 4 o'clock) crown. If they are different then the dial won't swap correctly as the dial feet are in different positions.

Since the 7s36 is just sluggish, it should respond nicely to a good cleaning and lube :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It's good to know that I've got a backup incase I mess up the 36B.

This will be the first 7S I've stripped, although I've had no problems cleaning a few 6309s and 7002s. Anything I should look out for?

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
clockworks said:
Thanks. It's good to know that I've got a backup incase I mess up the 36B.

This will be the first 7S I've stripped, although I've had no problems cleaning a few 6309s and 7002s. Anything I should look out for?
The 7sxx is a simpler caliber than the ones you already done so you should have no trouble at all...heck, if I can do it, then you should be able to do this one in your sleep ;)

The only thing I can suggest is that you don't oil the palette pinions. Over oiling will have a big negative affect on the running of the watch while under or no oiling will allow it to perform as it should. These pinions have almost no pressure on them so oil isn't really needed :)

I did a tear down post on the old SCWF if you want some pictures to follow; else take your own so you know what goes back where ;D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the info - I'll leave the pallet pivots dry.
When I strip a movement, I group the parts so that I don't get screws, etc., mixed up. Usually manage to get all the bits back in the right place.

My horological background is repairing clocks - been doing that for about 15 years. I used to make sketches and take photos, but now I only do that if I'm working on something really unusual, such as a 2-train Westminster chimer, or 3-train triple chimer.
I'm new to stripping watches, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts