The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been looking for a 5126-8120 for about a year, never seen one come up for sale so when one popped up on YJ I had a crack. Won the auction at an ok price (watch is a little beat up) but then the auction got extended by 20 mins! So the bidding continued and I paid more! I never used YJ before. What the hell is that about??

·
Registered
390 Posts
Never used YJ but from what ive read it is used to prevent sniping. When someone bids on the last minutes/seconds the auction gets estended. I guess its something Like that. To prevent sniping

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
When a seller lists an item on YJ they have the option of allowing the auction to end at a certain time like ebay does, or of extending the auction when a bid is placed in the last five minutes. Most auctions I've ever seen are extended, I suppose you get a better price that way.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never used YJ but from what ive read it is used to prevent sniping. When someone bids on the last minutes/seconds the auction gets estended. I guess its something Like that. To prevent sniping
Well that's a bore. Isn't the idea to outsmart your opponent?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Yahoo Japan's 'English auction' format is pretty much what most people think of when they think of an auction - the auction remains open until no higher bids are made.

Given a large enough group of buyers, this is just plain more efficient than eBay's 'auction by the candle' format in identifying a true market valuation.

eBay's format is more exciting, though - setting up a snipe, watching the clock tick down - it's adrenaline-inducing stuff.

Since it's more exciting, it may draw more buyers into the marketplace, increasing the market performance vs. YJ's better format (but with fewer buyers).

YJ better allows you to adjust your valuation in the face of market competition. If everybody wants something, you might be willing to pay more than your initial valuation. On eBay, you don't get that chance.

But on eBay, you can catch people flat-footed, trying to pick something up below market value.

In the end, I don't know which ends up a better model, but I shop both - mostly YJ.

2 hunting grounds are better than 1, and YJ is pretty darn fertile when it comes to Seiko, especially vintage Seiko.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Been looking for a 5126-8120 for about a year, never seen one come up for sale so when one popped up on YJ I had a crack. Won the auction at an ok price (watch is a little beat up) but then the auction got extended by 20 mins! So the bidding continued and I paid more! I never used YJ before. What the hell is that about??
Was that the one with the original bracelet that ended on the 22nd?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yes. The yj auction format blew me away when I first saw it
But I guess that's cos I was used to ebay
But when you think about it , that's how most auctions work

I do think the seller gets a better price on yj so bit of a poo poo for the buyer
But hey there is no place like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Ah OK. That all makes sense. Thanks for clarifying guys.

Tom, it had the original bracelet but ended on the 29th. I missed the one on the 22nd.....was it a good one?
I missed that one but I'll get you a link to the one on the 22nd if it works from my watched list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts