The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Re: What's the best Japanese Watch for Ubder USD 2000...

Gogiants said:
using your criteria for best. Why? Please list new and used price?

If dive watches are your thing, you can't go wrong with one of these. You can likely find one used, but in great condition for under $2000.

[/font]

Best,
Myles

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts

I know you said own criteria but I still have to ask, best what in terms of what? chrono for the money, dress for the money, overall performance, value, best quartz diver? there are just so many, and IMHO, if I could answer that question definitively, I probably would no longer be collecting.

·
Registered
232 Posts
How about a nice quartz Grand Seiko for a cool $1700. The SBGF017 click here

It's accuracy is 10 sec a year with 5 year battery, is 200M WR with a screw down crown, is ~40mm with crown and 10mm thick, and it's got lumi-brite.

Truly a watch for ALL occasions

Plus it's finish is GS sw33tnes! O0

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I saw that one after I followed your link to Chino. That one is way cool. I wish Seiko would make something similar with th 8L movement.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There is a great deal on a
BNIB Limited Edition Seiko Velatura Automatic Chronograph SRQ001 with the column wheel vertical clutch 8R28 movement on Ebay right now.

What makes this a great deal is Ebay's 2% back in Ebay bucks and Bing's 8% cashback on Ebay right now. Go to Bing and click on Ebay in the shopping section under cashback stores, find the item on Ebay and make sure you see the Bing Cashback logo at the top of the page.

The low Buy It Now price combined with the cashback from Bing and Ebay bucks make the [b]net price under $1350[/b]. Original list price is close to $4K and the next cheapest watch you can get this movement in will cost you ~$1K more.

I bought one this past weekend from this seller and Ebay and Bing discount offers.[/font]

·
Registered
174 Posts

Selym said:
If dive watches are your thing, you can't go wrong with one of these. You can likely find one used, but in great condition for under $2000.

[/font]

Best,
Myles
[/quote]

+1 ;D

[img]

SBDX001 is a phenomenal watch which can be bought in great condition used for between $1,200 and $1,500 if you are quick enough.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Gogiants said:
using your criteria for best. Why? Please list new and used price?
The GS 8J was already posted and is a great one, the only better would be one of the limited editions of 9F which are not under $2000, in the same range of accuracy but with the huge bonus (for me) of a perpetual calendar would be a NEW steel Chronomaster / The Citizen like for instance the first below, or a USED titanium version like of the last two models below (last one is wr200, other only wr100):

[img]

[img]

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Gogiants said:
OK, the best in terms of being a daily wearer. Whatever that means to you.
Easy, as a daily wearer then I would want something practical, feature filled, that does it's job with minimal fuss, and gives me the exact time whenever I need it. I would go for something quartz powered, radio controlled, and solar. All three manufacturers have watches like that within your budget. Casio probably has more of them than the other two (with the bulk of those being digital and sporty), while Citizen probably has the bigger number of analogs (and dressier models). Seiko will probably not have very many of either and the bulk of what they have is going to be above the stated budget.

If you can live without Radio control, the SS Citizen Nighthawk would be my choice. You can get radio control in that line for a little over the budget stated. Here is what Nighthawk looks like:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think you will find that the Seiko quartz, radio-controlled, solar-powered models are well under $2000. I'm thinking of the Brightz models with the 7B25 or 8B53 movements--all around $1200. After owning four radio-controlled watches--one Seiko Brightz, one Junghans solar-ceramic, and two Casio Oceanus Manta models (also solar-powered quartz), with the Japanese models all about the same price: $1000-$1200--I would recommend the Oceanus Manta. The fit and finish are every bit as good as Seiko's and Citizen's, the aesthetics are (at least to my eye) more appealing, and the sync'ing ability is superior. My OCW-S1050 is pictured below.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Oh crap, he said two thousand? I thought He'd said two hundred. Oopsie. Still my recommendation remains, as an inexpensive starting point go with a radio controlled Nighthawk. It's is a fantastic watch for the money that should serve you very well as an every day wearer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It also depends on your personal style. If you are a low-profile person, you will enjoy Grand Seiko quartz and The Citizen's quiet luxury styles. Otherwise, people around you may question your sanity for spending $2000 on a Seiko or Citizen quartz, instead of Swiss watches.

·
Registered
386 Posts
junlon said:
It also depends on your personal style. If you are a low-profile person, you will enjoy Grand Seiko quartz and The Citizen's quiet luxury styles. Otherwise, people around you may question your sanity for spending $2000 on a Seiko or Citizen quartz, instead of Swiss watches.
Maybe not so much if they get to see in their hand side-by-side a GS or Chronomaster and a swiss at the same list price ...
:))

1 - 20 of 29 Posts