The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some warm-up tinkering with a couple 6309s before tearing into my newest. One of these is getting it's Roman day wheel robbed. And with any luck I'll get one or both keeping time.

Sent from my E6790TM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Nice! I've got an 836 that's done, plus an 836 and a 729 in my 'to be restored' bin. Waiting to come across some crowns for them. You don't see these 836/729 watches too often.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wish my bench was as neat and organized as AndyCapp's. I'm a newbie but come as one that is willing to help anyone in my interest of watch restoration as well as a focusing on Seiko Quartz watch repair and restorations. I am not sure what direction to go with some of my questions as I am currently restoring a vintage 1970's Seiko Quartz 4004 Series Gent's watch with an 0903 caliber and a 7019 casing. Would anyone know the proper way to service the movement as I have been mostly gentle with the backing of this watch, but have had some difficulty removing the back. I can see that it does have raised areas around the battery hatch but have had no luck popping it off with the tools of the trade as I am aware of Seiko's hidden clips on some models that could be there hidden in the wear and tear of years of use that may have hidden these unknown clips and have been unable to locate any manuals online regarding the casing information as I've only been able to locate the movement manual for the 0903. any advice as to any literature would be most helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Zeke, I am anxious to see your restoration results when you get that awesome watch done. I have an undying passion in bringing these works of art back to life once again. I am working on two 0903 7009's as well as an 0903 7019.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Zeke, I am anxious to see your restoration results when you get that awesome watch done. I have an undying passion in bringing these works of art back to life once again. I am working on two 0903 7009's as well as an 0903 7019.
I love restoring these old Seiko's too, not quite as talented as some of the fellas here, but I'm getting there thanks to those fellas. I've posted all of my restores on this forum here and there. If you click on the link in my signature (Seiko Saviors) I have some of mine posted there as well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish my bench was as neat and organized as AndyCapp's.
THANKS! Honestly I just moved and my work space has been freshly set up. Give me a couple weeks...

I'm new at this as well but learning a lot and having fun with it.

I'm always impressed by the work as well as the documentation some of you guys show. I'm not to the point where I'm comfortable breaking concentration to take pictures so I figured a thread where we can post up a pic or two might be fun. Thanks for joining in!

Lazy Saturday just poking around with it. Salvaged the day wheel and stripped and clean one of the movements....nights still young...

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
THANKS! Honestly I just moved and my work space has been freshly set up. Give me a couple weeks...

I'm new at this as well but learning a lot and having fun with it.

I'm always impressed by the work as well as the documentation some of you guys show. I'm not to the point where I'm comfortable breaking concentration to take pictures so I figured a thread where we can post up a pic or two might be fun. Thanks for joining in!

Lazy Saturday just poking around with it. Salvaged the day wheel and stripped and clean one of the movements....nights still young...
Trust me Andy, take pictures as you take it apart to reference when putting it back together. I take a part off, I take a picture. I lay the parts out in order and take a final picture of the parts all laid out. After a cleaning I lay out the parts the same as the picture and work the same process backwards to re-assemble. I just took this pic about 10 minutes ago. Getting ready to take out the diashocks and put the parts through the sonic cleaner.

20180630_230454.jpg

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Here is a snap of the bench...

Here is the current watch. Its a Seiko Sealion M44 from December 1963. Its a surprise birthday present for a friend that was born on December 1963.

Here are some of my upcoming projects. I have gone a bit bananas for dive watches. I'm still not confident enough to tackle the chronos yet so they are last on the list. There is plenty of work here to keep my occupied for some time....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good luck! I'm so looking forward to to stepping up to one of these. Shopping for a good project that's not a basket case makes me more nervous than opening one up!

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Making progress, most of the 6139 cleaned up nicely. Had to use a spare bridge though, the original one didn't clean up very well, it was pitted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Got the movement mostly done. It cleaned up rather well. The 2 screws for the rotor plate were broken off. Managed to work those out, but now need to find 2 to match. Otherwise it's done and running like a champ. Keep watching, there's a slide show of the tear down about 10 seconds into the video.

1 - 20 of 266 Posts