The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161569768275?ru=http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=161569768275&_rdc=1

ok, i bought this a couple of days ago & it arrived in Australia allready!

but, i wore it for 2 minutes an when i was putting the packaging in the bin, what i thought was a spare battery fell on the floor..
then i noticed the screen was blank on the watch!

ive just discovered the battery hatch does not stay closed, yes it closes properly, but there is little to no resistance to it rotating and coming apart :|

for now ive put sticky tape over the back & now I am considering my options.

is there a gasket thats supposed to be there?
is it a common problem with the watch?

cheers

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
sorry that link does not work...any pics of watch

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
There should be a gasket. Can't see your link but look up Seiko battery hatch gasket and there are a few for sale.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry, dont know whats happened to the link, i will try to fix it.

here is the item number

its not your typical seiko case back

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
here is your pic

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i thought as much, but that one wont suit a 5007 will it?

anyway, the seller says he offers refunds/takes returns, surely the hatch not staying on would make his description of 'mint'not exactly true?

·
Registered
4,951 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
That appears to be the bayonet action hatch as fitted to the 3003 and earlier 4004 watches.

I suspect the sprung fingers, in the hatch, that ride up the clamping ramps in the watch back have got damaged due to someone forcing it into the open position after it had been over tightened. A replacement hatch, from a cheap non working 4004, would probably resolve the problem

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, thats good, but what case do you think i have with the seller with ebay since he described the watch as mint.

mint to me means it doesnt fall apart!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
ok, thats good, but what case do you think i have with the seller with ebay since he described the watch as mint.

mint to me means it doesnt fall apart!
Agree it would appear not to be as described. However it's a rare watch and don't know what the offer price was that the seller accepted. Depending on how much you want that particular watch (and how much you think that you got a bargain) you could either demand a full refund or possibly a partial refund and keep the watch and fix the hatch problem yourself. The ball is in your court.........

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did pay a lot for the watch $400usd, but apart from 2 extremely fine small scratches on the glass the watch is like new - and I mean it has not been restored and it looks like it was never worn or even been cleaned in its life.

its in pretty amazing condition really.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
yeah i was so close to buy a 0624 but didn't for a couple of reasons-

this is to be a daily work watch & having a date function is very handy in my job - 0624 has no date function.

if the module dies, it would be easier to find another one for little $

the only 0624 i could find in the same condition was $800 us - double this one & a bit too much to spend on a daily watch (or when i want to leave my ventura at home)

i found a 0624 for 600us but the condition of it would just annoy the **** outa me.

i do really like the look of this model.

The ebay seller just sent me $40 to get another hatch, so I'm happy.

Now it only cost me $360 - i know thats expensive for you guys who manage to find crazy bargins but i'm at the mercy of ebay prices at the end of the world, so I'm more than happy to pay that for 1 in this condition. :)
cheers

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
well that is great...someone on here will have what you need to make it right...

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
yeah i was so close to buy a 0624 but didn't for a couple of reasons-

this is to be a daily work watch & having a date function is very handy in my job - 0624 has no date function.

if the module dies, it would be easier to find another one for little $

the only 0624 i could find in the same condition was $800 us - double this one & a bit too much to spend on a daily watch (or when i want to leave my ventura at home)

i found a 0624 for 600us but the condition of it would just annoy the **** outa me.

i do really like the look of this model.

The ebay seller just sent me $40 to get another hatch, so I'm happy.

Now it only cost me $360 - i know thats expensive for you guys who manage to find crazy bargins but i'm at the mercy of ebay prices at the end of the world, so I'm more than happy to pay that for 1 in this condition. :)
cheers
and thats what it is all about :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts