The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've stalked this forum a bit. I like these kinds of things, but my main thing is bicycles, and I can't immerse myself in watch fettling as well. I managed to pick up a Bellmatic from a guy in my suburb that's in good condition. The only flaws are that the bell setting mark doesn't match with where the bell is actually triggered, but this is easy to compensate for, and it's about 45sec slow per day.

Anyway, I was planning on wearing this most days and was wondering if that was wise. I'll wear it on my bicycle commute to work, and then at work, which at the moment is in an office but with a fair bit of walking around as well. Can I expect it to handle this? Could I expect it to handle a bit of rain?

Righto.

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi

I've stalked this forum a bit. I like these kinds of things, but my main thing is bicycles, and I can't immerse myself in watch fettling as well. I managed to pick up a Bellmatic from a guy in my suburb that's in good condition. The only flaws are that the bell setting mark doesn't match with where the bell is actually triggered, but this is easy to compensate for, and it's about 45sec slow per day.

Anyway, I was planning on wearing this most days and was wondering if that was wise. I'll wear it on my bicycle commute to work, and then at work, which at the moment is in an office but with a fair bit of walking around as well. Can I expect it to handle this? Could I expect it to handle a bit of rain?

Righto.

Thanks

Peter
Congratulations to a nice and "funny" daily wearer that without a problem should stand for what you describe. Rain might b an issue since the gaskets - four of them might be dried up.

Since you have some issues that the alarm and the watch running slow i recommend a trip to the watchmaker that also (hopefully) will be able to solve the rain resist issue. OEM-gaskets will be hard to find but I've seen aftermarket ones on eBay that will do the job. Service cost will probably cost more than you gave for the watch, but it will be worth it, promise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Righto, well I was wearing this watch daily and all was going well, but then I was facing a pretty wet looking commute so I took it off and put it safely in my bag. When I pulled in to pick up a few things on the way home, I was getting something out of my bag when the watch decided to jump out too, straight onto the pavement. Bugger!

It doesn't actually look that badly damaged, but it has stopped working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've found someone in the Melbourne CBD to fix it. He seems like an OK guy, but it's hard to know (recommendations welcome). I've been holding off getting it fixed while becoming a father for the first time, but it's all working out fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I'm just planning on buying some gaskets from hal0eight and a crystal from BigV86 (can't add links to the thread yet), and then I should be in business. This guy in town wasn't so sure about getting a replacement crystal (not sure he knows what eBay is), so I kind of think dropping in the right crystal and gaskets will be helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just need to get my post count up past 5 to PM BigV86 now. Oh look! I've done it!

(I know this is a bit cheeky, and I do see the point of it and I think it's quite a good idea, but this is a bit of a side-effect of the policy. I'm a genuine buyer after a $10 crystal from a forum seller, selling something I know will be correct and of good quality. I don't know enough about it to buy from eBay. I'll post some pictures once it's fixed too)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have more than a handful of Bell~Matics and numerous other vintage watches. I would not wear the watch on your commute. Place it in your bag and enjoy taking it off and putting it back on.

Once properly maintained by a watchmaker you should be able to wear it for a few years without worries for most daily activities.

That being said, I regularly shed my Vintage and Modern Mechanical watches while riding my bicycle, mowing the lawn, weed whacking, chopping wood, using power tools and shooting firearms. I believe the constant vibrating and jarring of those activities are TOO MUCH and would rather be SAFE THAN SORRY.

I hope you enjoy your new sickness & addiction of vintage watch collecting.

Attachments

·
Special Member
7,232 Posts
I sold an excellent vintage dress Seiko 6602- to a fellow in Seattle who promptly wore it to work on his bicycle and it fogged up the crystal.

These are old watches - respect them as such !

BTW, I wore my Bell-Matic today and it was great. Lost no more than 10 seconds over 16+ hours. These are great movements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts