The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend of mine wants to buy a new watch for approx $750 as a 10 year anniversary gift to self. He generically is looking for what I call a "dress sport" watch similar in looks to a Rolex Sub or GMT II. He specifically wants a metal bracelet and an automatic movement. He's not a small guy, so minimum size would be 42mm.

Given the scenario above, what watch would you recommend buying and where to get the best price? By the way, Asian or non-Asian watches are ok. Thanks in advance!

·
Special Member
5,197 Posts
I would recommend the seiko sbdc007 (shogun) or the sbdc001 (sumo). As to where to buy, seiya is a good choice for the sumo, their customer service is tops. They do not have the shogun currently available, but is available at Amazon for under $900, which is just a little more than the budget.
With his big wrist maybe the sumo would wear better, it's also available with orange dial/black bezel ( sbdc005 ) and blue dial/blue bezel (sbdc003).
There are many options out there around that price range, these are just my suggestions.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Since this is in the Non-Oriental section, I'm assuming Swiss might be a first choice. Gylcine should fit the criterion. I know nothing of the vendor in this link...so can't recommend them (or any others): http://www.klepsoo.com/en/watches/g...n=Froogle-US&gclid=CNiv8fW1lsQCFc1lfgodyAIAJQ
Amazon or eBay searches will very probably provide a variety of choices/price.
Gylcine is a good company and most of these probably use the ETA 2824 or 2836 workhorses movements.
Regards, BG

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since this is in the Non-Oriental section, I'm assuming Swiss might be a first choice. Gylcine should fit the criterion. I know nothing of the vendor in this link...so can't recommend them (or any others): http://www.klepsoo.com/en/watches/g...n=Froogle-US&gclid=CNiv8fW1lsQCFc1lfgodyAIAJQ
Amazon or eBay searches will very probably provide a variety of choices/price.
Gylcine is a good company and most of these probably use the ETA 2824 or 2836 workhorses movements.
Regards, BG

Thanks. Those are sweet.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
If he's looking for something Submariner-like the he should take a look at Steinhart and Christopher Ward. They both have sub-style sports watches at about that price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi-WGM,
My recommendation would be to go for the big one,the one made from 'un-obtain-ium' for you. The one you would really like to own and wear and look at the dial every hour,for many years to come.For example, my son and my nephew both got Seiko divers from me as gifts and as they left high school. And then about 10 years later after college,when they were somewhat settled into their career paths and making a good salary-boom, my son went for a 'Bond' Omega. And then my nephew went for the 'Submariner' last summer.So now I know what they really wanted but could not afford about 14 years earlier. Me, I would have bought a Seiko Marine Master and thanked my lucky stars ever after-but it did not happen for me. I did have the good fortune and WISdom to buy a Seiko 'Pogue' chrono in 1971 and it has always been a good and valued Timepiece for my lifetime. So, I hope you choose just the 'Right' Timepiece for your lifetime and good luck on your quest.-Eli

·
Special Member
1,897 Posts
I have a Squale 20 Atmos that I love (they have other models in the diver vein). I also think that Steinhart or Glycine would be great to consider.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'll second Christopher ward. Great value for the price. Also Hamilton.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Used or new? If used, you have a wide variety of options, a used oris diver date is always nice. If new, I think the Seiko Brightz SDGM003 is a great option, as it has the classic look of a grand seiko and is versatile enough to be a little sporty with the metal bracelet.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
well to be honest ....i really love my Chase Durer UDT 1000...they are very well made...just hard to find...but they are a very heavy duty watch...

·
Registered
535 Posts
If your in the swiss market and want a cool decent sized auto check out the Tissot and Victirinox range. I'm a big fan of the Tissot prs 512 or the Seastar and Victorinox have a large range that includes, but is not limited to the dive mecha 500 as well as some more traditional style auto classics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Worth looking into micro-brands like Armida, Helson, Artego,Zixen, just to name a few...

Rob
I would also throw Halios into the mix. Looking forward to the Delfin coming out in a few months. And I have the white dial/SS bezel Tropik and it's a very nice piece

1 - 17 of 17 Posts