The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Seiko nuts. Today I ask, what version H558 is this.
I have never seen an Arnie with dark gold dots on the dial at 4 and 5 o'clock.
I got this watch from a watch repair guy who has a little window set up in front of a nail salon on the corner of 39th and 8th in Manhattan Feb 2012.
I'm looking to replace it's battery and now also interested in: A. Getting new hands or reluming these. B. Checking gaskets C. finding out it's history. The dial doesn't seem to be aftermarket but than again what do I know. So I put it out to the community to help me find some answers. IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
photo.jpg Here is a picture showing how the watch looks in it's current state with the aluminum shroud I purchased afew months after I got the Arnie. photo 2.jpg

Thanks in advance - Shawn

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Might be salt water ..........

No expert but salt water has a chemical effect on a lot of things.
Look at our bodies for a good example.
Might be some kind of leak before, and left a moisture residue in it.
Maybe salt water got in it or other.
Reaction to and from or some kind of chemicals in some areas.
Could be from like drinking water also, the Chlorine in it as
for Homes, Showers, Sinks, etc.
Maybe it went through the washer.
Maybe from working some where, and everyday use.
( Just some thoughts. )
( But very nice watch to redo if needed too. )

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Beneath the "gold dot" is exactly where the battery is. So I would say that is the damage due to battery leak.

·
Administrator
29,529 Posts
Beneath the "gold dot" is exactly where the battery is. So I would say that is the damage due to battery leak.
Over the years i have seen a few with just one or two of the hour markers discoloured and i have always assumed moisture etc but thought it strange how only one or two markers had gone bad, i quite like the battery theory.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Thats made me think Tiger - Moisture damage from battery leakage , i.e. the vapour released by the bad battery / ies affecting the surrounding area, mainly the actual dial itself in my example
That would also explain why the hands are affected and no other dial dots

I have had a few where it has been ingress of water aswell

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, now that you guys say it, it looks as if the dial dots in those two spots most likely suffered water damage. What tricked me is that they are the same tone and perfectly round.

So Maybe just clean the hands and don't re lume them. I'm also thinking I would leave the original bezel wabi and all.

Now I just have to figure out who to send it to for
1. A new battery 2. Hand Cleaning 3. new gaskets.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, now that you guys say it, it looks as if the dial dots in those two spots most likely suffered water damage. What tricked me is that they are the same tone and perfectly round.

So Maybe just clean the hands and don't re lume them. I'm also thinking I would leave the original bezel wabi and all.

Now I just have to figure out who to send it to for
1. A new battery 2. Hand Cleaning 3. new gaskets.

What are your thoughts?
Try Spencer Klein. I'll PM you his email.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look whats on its way back from getting a tune up...
Looking forward to getting a strap on the Arnie!
Once she lands, more pics to follow. Work & Pics from Spencer K.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks very nice but those two discoloured hour markers would drive me mad !!! I think for me that would be off to James for either a complete relume or see if he could do anything with the two bad ones (I bet he could).

Love that Citizen :)
Im thinking about just reluming the 5 o'clock dot. BTW a package from me should be arriving at your workshop in afew days. TST w/ XW orange dial.

·
Administrator
29,529 Posts
Im thinking about just reluming the 5 o'clock dot. BTW a package from me should be arriving at your workshop in afew days. TST w/ XW orange dial.
IMO if you do the 5 you have got to do the 4 :) I would also consider a replacement insert from Harold and retire the original but obviously save it.

Tell me more about the Citizen I really like the look of that.

I will let you know when it lands :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really like the wabi of the bezel insert so thats staying for certain.

I bought the Citizen back in 2007/2008 off the forum. It was used as a placeholder watch in FS watch display post. I PMed the seller and he sold me the Citizen for I think around $75. I was in good shape except for the hands, which now look great. Looking forward to seeing it when it gets back home.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts