The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a lume kit from Watchlume.com a little under a year ago and the first couple times I used it it worked a treat. Then I started to notice bubbles appearing in the mix necessitating a couple passes to get it right. But today I was plagued by them. I must have re-lumed a set of hands at least a half dozen times trying to get rid of the bubbles! What the hell is going on?! :banghead:

Is it something I'm doing wrong mixing or is there a problem with the binder?

Anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
103 Posts
2biggbubba
Hello.
With such a problem faced by many , components over time, lose their properties. Try before work a little bit to heat of the hairdryer ... Well, or to lower in warm water. In some cases, it helps.
Sincerely.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I have been using watchlume quite a bit and find the luminous compound as good as any. I did have the same problem as you with bubbles which I can sympathise with, it's bloody annoying to do a perfect lume job to find a bubble when dry.

I dumped the PVA type binder and now use clear acrylic car touch up lacquer from Halfords and find it mixes much better, evenly and no bubbles. Only down side is it is a bit smelly and goes off pretty quick in hot weather.

I have had my watchlume for a couple of years and it has not gone off.

Also check for trapped air bubbles at the mixing stage before application, if the workability is loose the bubbles will disperse.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks mike. I figured I probably needed a new binder. Didn't realize I could use car touch up. But won't that give it a gloss finish? The binder in the kit is matt which matches the lume on Seikos well IMHO. What other binders are readily available?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I'm not a lume expert yet but I use Noctilumina which has been easy to work with and no problems with bubbles. The lume glows for hours.

http://noctilumina.com/

·
Registered
103 Posts
OFF
Gentlemen, the question is not on the topic. And this drug can be used to cover the rod tip?
Regards to all.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Only bubbles I got were with the watchlume.com bonding agent. As for glows for hours that is 'not' the case with the Bergeon stuff which we are talking 30 minutes or less! Sounds like that's worth a try!

T
IMO Tony this is some great lume. When I first received it they wouldn't send it out of the US due to a patent or something but now they will ship world wide. Here is a shot of my first lume work after just one practice dial.......

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I use the watchlume stuff after the UK seller sent me a whole kit of colours and binders to try. I've never yet had a bubble problem, it looks very good under a loupe, and of course it glows for ages.

Before I received these I used to use Bergeon lume but it's far too expensive for what it is and doesn't seem to last as long.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Could be an issue known as "bloom" get it quite a lot when doping fabric wings,it's the highly volatile elements evapourating off and is worse when humidity is high

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I contacted Watchlume.com several times with no response. Disappointing.

Anyway does anyone know exactly what the binder is they supply and where to get it?

Or is there a better alternative readily available? Pollyc mentioned automotive touch up but I'd rather stick with a matt finish.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Marabu Mattlack works well as a binder

·
Registered
708 Posts
So I contacted Watchlume.com several times with no response. Disappointing.

Anyway does anyone know exactly what the binder is they supply and where to get it?

Or is there a better alternative readily available? Pollyc mentioned automotive touch up but I'd rather stick with a matt finish.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Cheers
I bought some Testors DullCote lacquer for scale models and it worked ok, but dried incredibly fast -- almost so fast that I couldn't use it. I tried to do it again and it failed miserably. I'm not sure if my ratios were off or not, but it wasn't predictable at all.

FWIW, the binder that comes with the Noctilumina kits doesn't leave things too glossy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts