The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I’m new to vintage Seikos and have been admiring them for a few months now. I have recently sold a few watches a freed up done watch cash. I purchased a Lord Matic that’s the same age as me :) and then intended to put the rest to a King Seiko. I found a beauty, but it turned out to have a rotor from a different watch in it. I then found a Grand Seiko in what appeared to be in excellent condition at a very good price and bought the watch (on a well know auction site). I should’ve examined it much more closely. It turns out the dial and hands are from a different GS :’(
The watch has not be posted to me yet and I’ve questioned the buyer about the situation. He has yet to get back to me. My question is should I keep the watch, as it was such a good buy or request a refund?
Here’s the watch in question and many thanks if you’ve got this far in my post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Since the auction ended, you could post a link here. We can help you better if we see the sales listing.

Did the seller say it’s all original or did the seller admit the dial/hand swap in the sales post?

·
Premium Member
9,260 Posts
Personally on a watch like that, I'd want everything original and correct. I know it's disappointing and a PITA but I'd return it straight away as "product not as described" if he wasn't fully transparent on the originality.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess is that it had water damage, the rotor looks rusty, and the original dial was probably ruined. I didn’t think of that at first. I’ve got a guy waiting to give the watch a full service and he’s seen the movement photo and thinks it’s nothing he can’t sort out for me (he’s very reputable).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally on a watch like that, I'd want everything original and correct. I know it's disappointing and a PITA but I'd return it straight away as "product not as described" if he wasn't fully transparent on the originality.
The seller has posted it yet. I’m hoping he gets back to me before he posted to ask if I’m happy with it. I know it’s a long shot, but here’s hoping.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Send him and email and cancel the deal, ask for all your money back and send him a photo of the watch you are talking about
Thanks. I’ve just done that. Such a shame. I was looking forward to getting that :(
Who knows, they may still send it to me anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow that’s not cheap at all. I was thinking $400 max with all the issues.

That is quite a difference. At least now I know not to keep the watch. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Seller just cancelled and was refunded. Result. Now to continue my search. Many thanks for all your input :)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Seller just cancelled and gas refunded. Result. Now to continue my search. Many thanks for all your input :)

Next time you see a Seiko you like but have doubts about, Create a "What do you think" thread here, or PM our friendly experts (my friendly experts is Jim W but don't tell him I told you haha). I have yet to ask a friendly expert who refused to be helpful

Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Next time you see a Seiko you like but have doubts about, Create a "What do you think" thread here, or PM our friendly experts (my friendly experts is Jim W but don't tell him I told you haha). I have yet to ask a friendly expert who refused to be helpful

Good luck.
That’s great advice. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's good that you cancelled the order and got your refund. Definitely worth waiting for the original one

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’ve now purchased a King Seiko that is currently on its way to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, great choice. I do love watches with day and date complication. And that little splash of red is perfect. How much did you cost you?
He wanted £490, but I offered £400 delivery inc from Germany. They seem to go for around £300-£350 without delivery, so I’m happy with that and it looks in reasonable condition. The dial looks immaculate.

·
Registered
80 Posts
He wanted £490, but I offered £400 delivery inc from Germany. They seem to go for around £300-£350 without delivery, so I’m happy with that and it looks in reasonable condition. The dial looks immaculate.

That's a good deal imo, and as long as everything else looks good, you've got yourself a great purchase.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You should have it serviced when you get it that will give you confidence that its going to run perfectly for the next few years
That’s what I intend to do. I’ve got a Lord Matic coming tomorrow and I’ve ordered a few straps. That should keep me entertained whilst I have the King serviced. I’ve emailed a guy about it already

1 - 20 of 53 Posts