The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says... what should I do with this 4205-0155?

I originally created an account here to show you all a dead watch and ask ask whether it was better off being repaired or replaced.

And, weirdest thing, it had been dead for well over a year. At some point last year I brought it to a local watch repairman, who returned it to me saying he couldn't help and it wasn't worth fixing. And then while I was taking photos for this post it began running again. So the watch works and I've decided to change the agenda. :)

The inside of the case is dusty, the lume is pretty much worn out, and in its previous life it usually gained a couple minutes a day. I also don't know whether it's water resistant.

So I'd like the insides cleaner, the lume glowing, and the watch to be reasonably water-resistant. Not necessarily to its scuba-diving former self, but it has to be at least well capable of surviving extended exposure to dish water or road spray (during house chores or bicycle rides, respectively). I'd also like some assurance the mechanism isn't going to spontaneously go dormant again. :D

So I guess the standing question still is: How well does the cost of the above work compare to simply replacing the watch?

A replacement would be another Seiko scuba automatic of similar size, like the SKX013, or an older version if I can find one at a decent price that's been properly pressure-tested. I don't harbor much sentimental value for this specific unit, since I only had it a few years, and due to its freezing up it spent most of that time in a drawer. But I like the design (and reputation) of Seiko divers and am contemplating getting a full-sized sibling for it as well. That's a question for another day, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
Opinion: Since cost of service and reluming hands and dial will cost as much if not more than the cost of a new 013, and with no sentimental attachment, just replace it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Another vote for replacement. You can find gray market Seiko divers as cheap as $100 if you shop Ebay. Not much love for the 4205 I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
What I like about this model is the crown pattern being a bit like the 6105 divers.
But that's all I'm afraid. It's only mid size and understandably used by and refered to as "ladies diver".
Paying someone to put it right would exceed the finished value plus you could replace it with another for less and possibly be around the amount you'd spend on finding an SKX007 too (there are mid size SKXxxx too if you did prefer).
Personally I'd do that, then move this one on, fully discribed as you have here, and get a little back towards the outlay.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I had one of these rebuilt for my Wife about 2 years ago now. The day I gave it to her she flipped. It has been her constant wearer since then and has been to 47 countries on her photographic tour of the World. I finally did something right!! Glad to have it if you don't want it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
love the cute little 4205 that I have one myself but find it hard too put on wrist.

Like what other said so..save the money and buy yourself a new 007. You'll enjoy it much more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a quorum: Repair would cost at least as much as a replacement.* ($200 range?). I can accept that a watch fresh from the factory has at least the advantage of being dependably airtight.

Maybe my 4205 would be a good watch for me to learn how to do simple repair work on. After its replacement is well in hand, of course. :D

I'm a little stuck on what to get to replace it. Almost all my watches are midsize: I'm a slightly taller than average person but my wrists are skinny, so smaller watches have always been comfortable for me. (My diver has a 37mm case: I guess there was also a smaller 4205 model? Smaller than 37mm would be too small, even for me...)

On the other hand, the real disadvantage I've found with the 4205 is the tall shadow the bezel casts over the dial, which makes it a little hard to read (especially now that the lume is faded). I assume this is less problematic with a larger watch, so maybe it's worth looking at the popular favorites around here after all.

Thanks for the food for thought, everybody. It's really appreciated. I'm not sure I've decided, but I feel like I have a direction now.

*(The members saying, "It's no good, but I'll take it!" are kinda'... let's say you're undercutting your rhetorical position a little. :) )

·
Registered
499 Posts
*(The members saying, "It's no good, but I'll take it!" are kinda'... let's say you're undercutting your rhetorical position a little. :) )
Not really. They are probably going to do the work themselves. When you throw out any sentimental value, it is all about the money. All the discussion above was about how much it would cost you to pay someone to restore it versus buying a new one.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Maybe my 4205 would be a good watch for me to learn how to do simple repair work on. After its replacement is well in hand, of course. :D
Give it a go, its a small fiddly bugger but what have you got to lose. If you can fix that, others will be quite easy.

The general condition doesn't look to bad to me, most of the ones you see on fleabay are absolute wrecks!

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
Give it a go, its a small fiddly bugger but what have you got to lose. If you can fix that, others will be quite easy.

The general condition doesn't look to bad to me, most of the ones you see on fleabay are absolute wrecks!
:clap:

The 4205 seems to be unloved and because they are unloved they dont have a very high value.
Ive got one in my collection and wear it often, it has a slight advantage over my other Seiko divers as it can be hand wound.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Well, no plans yet, and I don't have any appropriate tools either, but I guess I could start a new hobby, hey?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One last update to this thread...

I'd already been monitoring Ebay for over a week before starting this thread. And thanks to your responses here I'd decided to get either a 6309-7290, 7002-700x, or SKX007. Which only narrows things down a little. :D

So I'd been mulling another post to ask which of the above three would be the best watch to get. But without being certain whether that's actually much of a question, given the myriad factors involved regarding price, condition, quality of reseller's work, whether a Japanese version is really worth the premium over the Singaporean/Malaysian version, and so on...

The inevitable Black Friday sales helped cut this particular dilemma by helping me land a new SKX007K1 for a price lower than the greymarket and even most of the used watches on Ebay. I'm not certain about this forum's rules regarding links to vendors and sales, so PM me about the sale if you'd like.

The 4205 seems to be unloved and because they are unloved they dont have a very high value.
Ive got one in my collection and wear it often, it has a slight advantage over my other Seiko divers as it can be hand wound.
Indeed, I suspect mine had originally stopped due to overwinding. Now, why it'd decided to loosen up when it did... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do think it's still a nice watch, not the most reliable one, but convenient. To me, its only design fault is the large shadow the bezel casts over the dial. I'd even gotten a bezel guard for it to keep it from harming the things I tended to bump it into, and plan to do the same thing for the incoming SKX007.

And sorry, no offense intended Mike__V, I had meant to tease rather than snark off -- my first thought was to hold onto the 4205 and try cleaning it myself, since it would no longer be my only (or even primary) Seiko diver, the stakes would be lower. You're right, judging from responses here and elsewhere, it's more worthy as a hobbyist's project than a professional restoration no matter what I might think of it.

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
Indeed, I suspect mine had originally stopped due to overwinding. Now, why it'd decided to loosen up when it did... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You cant overwind an automatic watch, even one with a hand wind facility.
In fact i'm led to believe that you cant overwind any watch, but ill leave that one to the experts to deliberate

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Because I haven't worked with a 4205, I don't know which parts are interchangeable (date wheel for example), but a new NH05 movement is less than $40. I think the date wheel will swap, but like I said, I haven't done it so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a 4205 serviced at Seiko USA a few months ago. It was 115.00 including shipping and took about 3 weeks... just saying...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts