The Watch Site banner

4701 - 4720 of 4737 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
This just in from Argentina. Its running terrific and has the Speedtimer bracelet. Good case lines with some nicks. Great dial and crystal. Super clean movement. Crisp pusher operation. Excellent day/date changes via crown and after midnight. Not much movement in the MS barrel. My first indicator of a real service is whether the minute totalizer crisply transitions to the next tic mark and this one does. Good timegrapher readings although it has some noise pops and beat error depending on position. I'm just going to clean up the case a bit, size the bracelet and be good.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
This just in from Argentina. Its running terrific and has the Speedtimer bracelet. Good case lines with some nicks. Great dial and crystal. Super clean movement. Crisp pusher operation. Excellent day/date changes via crown and after midnight. Not much movement in the MS barrel. My first indicator of a real service is whether the minute totalizer crisply transitions to the next tic mark and this one does. Good timegrapher readings although it has some noise pops and beat error depending on position. I'm just going to clean up the case a bit, size the bracelet and be good.

View attachment 450941 View attachment 450942 View attachment 450943
Nice UFO, Tod!

·
Registered
77 Posts
That's a nice looking UFO. I have one that needs a little work but I'm excited to wear it when it's done.

Is it just me, or are the sub dial hands the wrong way round on yours?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
That's a nice looking UFO. I have one that needs a little work but I'm excited to wear it when it's done.

Is it just me, or are the sub dial hands the wrong way round on yours?
Oh man you are correct! Whoever did the rebuild swapped the subdial hands. I’ll have to pull them and swap them. Good eye, I completely missed this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SeaCreechur

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Oh man you are correct! Whoever did the rebuild swapped the subdial hands. I’ll have to pull them and swap them. Good eye, I completely missed this.

I hadn’t noticed that either, speaking of hands, is that main chrono sweep white or washed out yellow?

Original sweep hands on this model are either orange/red or yellow I believe.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Looks like faded yellow. Not uncommon for these, I think. I have one that is similar.
Yes, a faded yellow. Typical indeed for these.

·
Premium Member
1,717 Posts
SRPD31K1
It's a lot like the SARB017 Alpinist, but without all the things that I dislike about the Alpinist (like the blingy green dial with gold hands and markers, unprotected bezel controller crown etc.). I love the short lugs, the domed crystal, and the recessed crown set at 4 o'clock.

It's what a field watch should look like.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Extremely pleased with this latest pickup off YJ. Those who know this reference, know why it’s so special.

A friend of mine in Canada has graciously offered an original full-length bracelet to complete it, and another friend in Japan will translate the Kanji inscriptions on the caseback once I take better pictures.

All that’s left for me to do is source a NOS Crystal/Bezel and give it a proper service!

So, without further ado................

Unrestored ca. 1970 JDM Seiko cal. 6139-7010
5 Sports “Speed Timer” (Proof-Proof).

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Extremely pleased with this latest pickup off YJ. Those who know this reference, know why it’s so special.

A friend of mine in Canada has graciously offered an original full-length bracelet to complete it, and another friend in Japan will translate the Kanji inscriptions on the caseback once I take better pictures.

All that’s left for me to do is source a NOS Crystal/Bezel and give it a proper service!

You’ve got great taste, T -
That model Speed Timer is a favorite of mine also.
I was watching that one but didn’t bid, look forward to seeing how it progresses once received.

·
Registered
508 Posts

Wow, that looks a very nice example! With the original bracelet and a service it should be outstanding.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Ha, The 2 piece Chrono hand has been painted...No ? Here is what it should look like. No ?
View attachment 451181
Actually no Todd's has a perfectly preserved chrono and sub hands. They're suppose to be the same color but for some reason they fade differently. And I see that rubber blob on the center sweep as an indicator that it hasn't been serviced ever.

@Seiko Shepherd congrats T! Beautiful specimen, a new crystal and maybe a bezel(unnecessary if you ask me) and it'll come out looking brand new!

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,996 Posts

Yes, that will be the bees knees when you get it done.

Reactions: Seiko Shepherd

·
Registered
447 Posts

Excellent taste, as always, T.

4701 - 4720 of 4737 Posts