The Watch Site banner

4641 - 4656 of 4656 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Hi John, may I ask what you mean by 'Resists'? Thanks.
Prior to 1970, Seiko (and most other watches) were labelled 'Water Proof' however from 1970 US legal changes made them open to litigation if a watch, thus marked got damaged by the ingress of water, so all watch labelling changed to 'Water Resist' from 1970 onwards, later to be changed to 'Water Resistant'.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Prior to 1970, Seiko (and most other watches) were labelled 'Water Proof' however from 1970 US legal changes made them open to litigation if a watch, thus marked got damaged by the ingress of water, so all watch labelling changed to 'Water Resist' from 1970 onwards, later to be changed to 'Water Resistant'.....
Thanks a lot, that's very interesting to know. I didn't realize there was a switch in the language because of legal regulations.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Thanks a lot, that's very interesting to know. I didn't realize there was a switch in the language because of legal regulations.

Hello tkmj75- just to help further these are my four 6138 blue dials. The three on the right are export models (non-JDM). You can see where the dial markings go from PROOF (left two) to RESIST to no text on the dial. The change came about from US law changes. The casebacks have similar markings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hello tkmj75- just to help further these are my four 6138 blue dials. The three on the right are export models (non-JDM). You can see where the dial markings go from PROOF (left two) to RESIST to no text on the dial. The change came about from US law changes. The casebacks have similar markings.

Brilliant, thanks a lot for sharing this. Great to see the differences across the dials. Personally I like dials that are uncluttered, so my choice would be the one on the far right.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

It's a helpful pointer, any watch marked 'Water Proof'' has to have been made prior to 1970....... Your one, made December 1969 would have been marked 'Resist' because it was obvious that it would be sold in January 1970 at the earliest...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dial from pre-made stock, got a 'Resist' case/back when assembled....
Resist case backs were used early months of 70's, while Resist dials were implemented later that year. At least thats what the Spring Bar timeline graphic points out.
Dials are more labour intensive and presumably hand made. On the other hand, Case backs are lathed and stamped metal. Naturally, there would be a lag in producing these components.
IDK for sure if that's what happened but it kinda makes sense.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Just to clarify (and sorry for further hijacking the thread). The exact month of when Seiko transitioned between Proof and Resist varies between models and styles. So the middle two of the four 6139s above are only one month apart in date: May and April of 1970. But they are two different model numbers, -6000 vs. -6009.

·
Premium Member
9,108 Posts
Resist case backs were used early months of 70's, while Resist dials were implemented later that year. At least thats what the Spring Bar timeline graphic points out.
Dials are more labour intensive and presumably hand made. On the other hand, Case backs are lathed and stamped metal. Naturally, there would be a lag in producing these components.
IDK for sure if that's what happened but it kinda makes sense.
Plus I think it's pretty well accepted that Seiko used up existing inventory of whatever they had for dials and case backs resulting in mix and match "transitional" watches. Seiko obviously didn't care whether or not the two matched.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Organ donor. An inexpensive 7546 as a hedge against my 6309-7040 movement, which is acting up. In the mail now. Sadly, I do like it and would be really torn if I had to gut it..
7546 dress.jpg

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Organ donor. An inexpensive 7546 as a hedge against my 6309-7040 movement, which is acting up. In the mail now. Sadly, I do like it and would be really torn if I had to gut it..
View attachment 449290
I 'plundered' a few for spares a few years ago when they were very cheap and plentiful, but now recognise them for what they are and unless they are in a very worn GP case, they get saved.....

This is a favourite....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oooh, some very nice ones. Those silver-dialed ones are particularly attractive IMO, though the cases and bracelets on the black ones are more refined. My first Seiko was a silver 7A28-7079 in 1982. Always drawn to that!

"I 'plundered' a few for spares a few years ago when they were very cheap and plentiful, but now recognise them for what they are and unless they are in a very worn GP case, they get saved..... "

I made a joke and poll at watchuseek, that I felt like I was having a second child, just to have an organ donor for my sick first child...

4641 - 4656 of 4656 Posts