The Watch Site banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Special Member
2,393 Posts
Yes, I like to keep them all original, if I can. I did read that the silver dial variants came with black inner chapter rings, and that the black ones don’t fade, so I thought maybe this one was not original, but that doesn’t make sense, because the dial is obviously all original.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
the black ones do fade...unfortunately.

<* shark >>><

·
Special Member
2,832 Posts
I think that the fading adds to the character. If in nos condition it would be way more expensive.

·
First Lady
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I think that the fading adds to the character. If in nos condition it would be way more expensive.
That’s absolutely true, and I have spent way too much on 6139’s lately. I will be content to leave the original. I’m not sure I even like the contrast of the very black inner ring with the much lighter silver dial. I think I prefer the lighter faded look. It does add charisma…

·
First Lady
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Good news. Just heard from Simon, who is happy to work on this, for me. I am also sending him my Yachtman, aka 6138-0011, which runs great for several hours, keeping excellent time, then just stops, whether chrono running, or not. Oh, well. It’s only money…..

·
Administrator
34,177 Posts
Your chapter ring hasent faded really bad but by the time Simon has finished with the dial relume etc it will look like new almost so personally I would be tempted to fit a very nice chapter ring, jmo.

That’s absolutely true, and I have spent way too much on 6139’s lately. I will be content to leave the original. I’m not sure I even like the contrast of the very black inner ring with the much lighter silver dial. I think I prefer the lighter faded look. It does add charisma…

·
Special Member
877 Posts
This silver "resist" 6139-6002 had a halfway decent dial, but the markers had corrosion and lume rot. After Simon's extensive dial work, it looks pretty spectacular, though I obviously need to toss that bracelet back into the ultrasonic cleaner:

Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Font

As for spending too much money on 6139s, I may need you to explain to me how much is too much <g>:

Automotive lighting Circle Gas Musical instrument accessory Tints and shades

I've got a February 1969 blue dial JDM 6139-6000 awaiting restoration, then I might be done with these for a while. Unless a silver "proof" or a Sunrise happens to pop up. The desktop is getting cluttered again, which is never a good sign:

Watch Recipe Ingredient Cooking Wood

·
Craftsman
2,119 Posts
Yes, I like to keep them all original, if I can. I did read that the silver dial variants came with black inner chapter rings, and that the black ones don’t fade, so I thought maybe this one was not original, but that doesn’t make sense, because the dial is obviously all original.

Oh I have seen plenty of faded black inner rotating rings. They fade to near white appearance. Personally, I think the black NOS rings are harder to come by than the yellow rings. Be prepared to pay through the nose if you find a good one. Nice pickup.

·
Special Member
877 Posts
Oh I have seen plenty of faded black inner rotating rings. They fade to near white appearance. Personally, I think the black NOS rings are harder to come by than the yellow rings. Be prepared to pay through the nose if you find a good one. Nice pickup.
Agreed, a NOS black ring will cost quite a bit. There was one on eBay last week ... the seller was asking $165 for it, but I don't know what it sold for.

·
First Lady
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Agreed, a NOS black ring will cost quite a bit. There was one on eBay last week ... the seller was asking $165 for it, but I don't know what it sold for.
I’ll look for one, but not sure I would pay that kind of money for a piece of plastic.

·
Special Member
877 Posts
FWIW, I’ve been able to source the occasional ring out of a parts watch. I just bought this one because it had the specific caseback — December 1972 6139-6002 — that I needed for another project (no, unfortunately, not a Sunrise ;-). I may break it for parts, or may swap in a slightly more faded ring and sell it on.

Watch Analog watch Light Clock Watch accessory

·
First Lady
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
FWIW, I’ve been able to source the occasional ring out of a parts watch. I just bought this one because it had the specific caseback — December 1972 6139-6002 — that I needed for another project (no, unfortunately, not a Sunrise ;-). I may break it for parts, or may swap in a slightly more faded ring and sell it on.

View attachment 488130
If you do take it apart, I would be happy to purchase that inner ring from you. PM me, if interested in selling it. Thanks.

·
First Lady
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I pressed the Buy it now button on eBay, for this, which listing stated would fit 6139-6000, but then noticed it didn’t have the notch I saw on other nos examples, so requested to cancel the sale.

·
Special Member
1,514 Posts
will you sell? more PM ;)

·
Special Member
877 Posts
I pressed the Buy it now button on eBay, for this, which listing stated would fit 6139-6000, but then noticed it didn’t have the notch I saw on other nos examples, so requested to cancel the sale.

Yeah, those pop up every so often. That’s a rotating ring for a 6119 of some sort (6119-6023, maybe?).

·
Craftsman
4,126 Posts
Kat, here is the part number you'll be looking for. If you'll notice the early style (69'- early 70') inner bezel uses the same part number as the later style (70' + up). You'll notice on the early bezel there is no notch and it has external teeth. The later bezel has a notch and no outer teeth.

On a side note: the later inner bezel can be used on an early model but the early model inner bezel won't work on a later model due to a different style dial spacer ring.

Font Circle Jewellery Fashion accessory Electric blue

21 - 40 of 78 Posts