The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend sent me his "nice" 6309 to be TST'd, looks good and will look even better TST'd :)

This is what i found when it was stripped:
  • Case back corrosion on sealing face.
  • Movement ring missing spring and rusty.
  • Movement signs of rust.
  • Stem had the rest missing.
  • Bezel came off very easy.
  • After market crystal retaining ring.
  • Case damage/corrosion one of the worst I have seen.
  • Note were the case has been peened over so that the bezel stays in place.
  • Crystal gasket in half and basically just a soggy piece of rubber.
  • Shim under crystal gasket missing.
  • Chapter ring incorect and just held in place with glue.
Apart from that no real problems :) and the strap it came on was ok :)

Any guesses where this was bought from has a serviced watch ?

Guys continue to buy the bargain and this is what they often get.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Just been fully serviced from one Heck of a HHC.

Don't many guys fall for a Pretty face only to find out later, when it's too late, What Lies Beneath...............

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Thank goodness he bought a good'un, I'd hate to see a bad one! I've got someone sending me a birth year 6309 for a service that he has on the way to him from one of the less respected HHC sellers. I'm not looking forward to it arriving and this post has just reinforced that feeling......

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
That has got to be the worst 6309 case I have seen so far, it makes one of Ramon's look immaculate :biggrin:

Are you proposing to TST it?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Maybe the previous owner did dive with it and had trouble with sharks ?
The case is in incredibly bad shape

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
That's the problem...the average Joe buying a 'vintage' diver has no clue and never will find out what's under the 'hood'. That's what keeps our 'aftermarket lipstick on a pig' HHC friends in business.

Rob

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
That's the problem...the average Joe buying a 'vintage' diver has no clue and never will find out what's under the 'hood'. That's what keeps our 'aftermarket lipstick on a pig' HHC friends in business.

Rob
That reminds me of my mates 1275 mini way back in the 80's. looked fantastic until he took it for an MOT when the tester pointed out the sills were painted filler on newspaper.

·
Registered
309 Posts
That's nasty. Are you going to name the seller?

I think this is the reason Jake / Dagaz no longer makes dials for 6309's, too many people were sending him watches to be modified that appeared ok on the outside but once opened up....

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's nasty. Are you going to name the seller?

I think this is the reason Jake / Dagaz no longer makes dials for 6309's, too many people were sending him watches to be modified that appeared ok on the outside but once opened up....
There is nothing nicer or more satisfying (well there is but you know what i mean) than getting a old genuine watch that just needs some TLC etc etc to bring back to life but when you get these bodged up lumps from were ever it is one of the most soul destroying things about this hobby, I wont touch them at all as you can spend hours messing about with no great result at the end.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Puckwits! I have a draw with 3 'excellent' watches in from eBay's dodgy sellers that all would be best served with a tennis racket up my garden! Only pay for what you can see is the answer. I do this with any clock I buy and should do the same with watches. It's nothing short of theft!

That said I have a Pogue that came from the philippines with a 'black' movement. Now I brought the watch for the strap (stellux) so I have no complaints but the strange thing is I put it on my new Graph Timer this morning and ..... perfect! Absolutely bleeding spot on! Amazing

·
Registered
679 Posts
There is nothing nicer or more satisfying (well there is but you know what i mean) than getting a old genuine watch that just needs some TLC etc etc to bring back to life but when you get these bodged up lumps from were ever it is one of the most soul destroying things about this hobby, I wont touch them at all as you can spend hours messing about with no great result at the end.

I love it when you get a watch where the bezel doesn't move because of the gunk, the case back and lugs are filthy just because you know it's not been messed with.
That 6309 in a hell of a mess and as you say, fit for scrap only.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Looks like one of the amazing pieces that ebay member speedtimerkollektion sells.
I had one of them some years back...such a pos it was!!

I've had some really nice stuff from Peter of speedtimerkollektion. In fact everything I have had off him has been perfect or better than he said it would be and he always offers a full money refund if your not happy with the item which you can't argue with. I also know other members that use his service and recommend him. The watch I brought for spares recently from him was so good I couldn't scrap it and ended up having to find the part else where.

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
I've had some really nice stuff from Peter of speedtimerkollektion. In fact everything I have had off him has been perfect or better than he said it would be and he always offers a full money refund if your not happy with the item which you can't argue with. I also know other members that use his service and recommend him. The watch I brought for spares recently from him was so good I couldn't scrap it and ended up having to find the part else where.
I totally agree,
ive bought a complete watch for spares from Peter and it was too good to break, several movements for parts which were clean and good and a case for my Promaster which was in a better condition than described
I bought a 6119 movement from him for the train bridge. When i got it i saw it was a 21j not a 23j which i needed, despite it being my fault my money was refunded without quibble.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts