The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I remember correctly, I think I haven't seen any of the quartz movement made by Seiko/Citizen uses lithium battery (CR2012, 2016, 2025, etc) but there are many in Casio's lineups. I wonder what's the reason considering that lithium usually has more capacity and longer shelf life AFAIK. Honestly my knowledge about Citizen is almost nil considering that there's not much talk about their movements.

LOL now that I almost post this thread, I think I know what the reason is. Considering that Seiko/Citizen usually makes analog movements, lithium may make their movements unnecessarily thick (unlike digital). What do you think?

I looked up Ronda database and their 715Li quartz movement thickness is quite acceptable at 4.6mm.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
If you look in the archives section of the site, look in the User Manual, Technical Manual and Casing Guide Downloads, you will find a couple of battery guides saved there that should answer your question. As a quick guess, I would assume that all modern kinetics (after the early capacitor driven ones) and all modern solar powered seikos use LI batteries. I would also guess that those quartz ones with supper long lived batteries probably use an LI battery as well.

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
The only one i know of Seiko wise is the 8F56 movement,Mine has a 10yr Lithium cell in it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
HansA. said:
If I remember correctly, I think I haven't seen any of the quartz movement made by Seiko/Citizen uses lithium battery (CR2012, 2016, 2025, etc) but there are many in Casio's lineups. I wonder what's the reason considering that lithium usually has more capacity and longer shelf life AFAIK. Honestly my knowledge about Citizen is almost nil considering that there's not much talk about their movements.

LOL now that I almost post this thread, I think I know what the reason is. Considering that Seiko/Citizen usually makes analog movements, lithium may make their movements unnecessarily thick (unlike digital). What do you think?

I looked up Ronda database and their 715Li quartz movement thickness is quite acceptable at 4.6mm.
8F32 and 8F56 come to mind as movements that use lithium batteries.

I suspect the cost of retooling production lines and redesigning existing movements comes into play when deciding to switch from one battery type to another. Battery thickness is probably a minor contributor to overall watch height. The biggest single contributor to watch height is simply fashion. Tall and wide watches are in vogue right now so that is what Seiko makes. I suspect that Seiko chose large long life LI batteries in the 8F56 and 8F32 movements because they tie into the Perpetual Calendars found in those movements.

I'm wearing a Pulsar PSR 10 (A Seiko watch) that is less than 5mmm thick. If Seiko were to change to a lithium battery it might add 1mm to a very thin watch if Seiko went for one of the big batteries. One of the smaller LI units would probably not add anything at all because it could be nested inside the movement.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoops I forgot about kinetics and solars, duh.

And thanks for telling me about the 8Fs.

·
Registered
822 Posts
The Citizen Cal. C520 and C526 as fitted to the Aqualand Classic Re-issue uses one lithium battery, as opposed to the original Aqualand which uses three silver oxide cells. There are about 20 other Citizen movements I can find that use a lithium battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts