The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unless of course you have seen what I do with other tools and know that I REALLY hack these things together. I made a Tuna :)

The shroud is one of the Nylon ones that Bry makes and I can't say enough how great these things are. He kindly provided me with a spare when I said I was modifying it to fit an AGS Tuna that I got from Ramon. Turns out that the first one came out fine for the AGS so I was left with a perfect spare. Since it was so kindly given to me I felt it needed to be used, so I literally took an SKX case to the bench grinder. And I am ever so happy with the results..

Thanks Bry!!

PS: If you do this pull out the chapter ring first. Anyone got a spare? :eek:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I'll think I'll hang onto the ags for a little while yet though, still have parts coming from cousins. It's quite a bit smaller than this one though. I've got another case to grind up, so hopefully bry will be selling more shrouds. This is an inexpensive way to make a tuna mood!! I haven't tapped the case on this one, just used course thread screws. Once I get some m2 or 2.5 screws I'll see what works best and tap the next one. Still, it's not too bad for something made with completely the wrong tools... :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still digging this mod :)

But I need to find some Tuna or MM hands cheaply someplace. New crystal and a crown are both on order. Once again, Bry is the man! The only thing ever stopped me from doing a Tuna mod was making the shroud. 3D printing saves the day :)

What do you guys think about doing an Oyster on this? Oddly enough the Tuna's are about the only thing that I think only looks good on rubber, but I hate them intensely...

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is a really neat project. Thanks for posting. Any tips for someone who might try something like this?:D

I think a rubber, or a NATO would look best on this. The oyster would be interesting though.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only tip I can give you is to be careful on the metal removal and test fit the shroud lots. But it's not very hard to get it on there. The hard part is the finish work with little files and things. I do everything by hand basically, so it's not as exact as machine work.

I may have to stick with rubber, but we'll see how an oyster do once I paint the shroud to look brushed.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Cool mod. Do you happen to have any pics of the grinding process, or maybe before you put the shroud on? I have an SKX, but am not sure what all would have to be removed for the shroud to fit. Will ponder that next time I wear it. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, no pics throughout the process. When doing something like this I just go at it. You need to get a shroud first, then you can start removing material until it fits correctly. I actually have the second case I did still leftover because I took off too much material and I think the lugs look too skinny. This first, and the third, case are still in service. Waiting on a dial for the other one that I parted out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts