The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
^-^ Earlier on, I was sharing with you folks that I have bought the Tuna Emperor and indeed very proud and happy with it. I never thought I could own what I think is the grail (not to all) of Seiko diver watches. O:)

Having some funds left I purchased the OS300 (the older non hacking version) recently and again was very pleased. I have sized the bracelet but not wore her yet as I am awaiting a special time in my calendar to kickstart the wearing. That time has yet to come ??? so the OS300 is still a drawer queen.

However I was a little disappointed when I research further into the movement in the os300. Many experienced collectors felt the os300 was not worth the price tag for the movt it houses. :'( Although I paid less than 1000usd for her, I still feel a little "off-balance"

Then I decided to start saving for the MM300. Many of you would have noticed I have sold off many watches recently. These were mainly to fund the next purchase.

Now that I think I have saved enough bullets to make the shot at the MM300, I am a little hesistant.

I ask myself what next after the MM300?

(pic from Chino)

Or should I hold on to my firepower and save up for the Grand Seiko handwinding SBGX001?

(pic from the net)

This may mark the start of the GS territory that I am starting to take an interest but not sure...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The MM300 is a classic, a very special watch. You might not feel the need for anything more after that for a while. If you do, there's always the very tasty GS diver.

And a GS dress watch would really complement your very impressive collection nicely.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I personally would get the 300M MM....sell off the Tuna and the OS300 and then use that money to go after the new High Beat Grand Seiko.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hey Buddy, I'm on a similiar path. I bought a MM300 and right now am tracking the Emperor Tuna on it's way from Japan. I alos have another Quartz Tuna and a Sumo. I too have looked at the hand winding Grand Seiko. While it is nice I would hold off on that one. Something tells me i would flip it and want a different GS like the one with the blue second hand for instance. However, if that GS speaks to you than go for it. I myself know I would get it only for the lower price point and eventually sell it for a better or more Automatic GS. :)
Just my Opinion though. I can't wait for the emperor to land. OBTW def get a MM300, you will break down eventually and end up buying a ton of other watches trying to satisfy the urge for the MM300.

G

·
0 Posts
From looking at your previous purchases, looks like you like divers. But since you haven't gotten the MM300, make the decision after you've some wrist time with the MM300. As many suggested, the next step up is the MM600 SD. You may also have a better idea whether to keep both the OS300 and the Darth Tuna after getting the MM300.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all your advice...

why is it i see that u guys feel the mm300 will decide whether one will keep the tuna emperor? ???

is it becos mm300 is more a classic old school but the tuna emperor a bit contemporary (not sure if i use the right word)? ???

i read that SD is not entirely mech as there are electrical components in her. maybe once i finish w the divers, i may not go into SD600 but directly to GS world... ;)

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
kohym said:

why is it i see that u guys feel the mm300 will decide whether one will keep the tuna emperor? ???

is it becos mm300 is more a classic old school but the tuna emperor a bit contemporary (not sure if i use the right word)? ???

i read that SD is not entirely mech as there are electrical components in her. maybe once i finish w the divers, i may not go into SD600 but directly to GS world... ;)

Don't make assumptions about Spring Drive until you have one in your hands. You will quickly forget about the hi-beat Grand Seiko, guaranteed. It is the most amazing mechanical watch movement in existence today.

While I can appreciate the beauty of a hi-beat GS movement, to me the Spring Drive is unmatched right down to the smooth gliding seconds hand. Less maintenance issues too. ;)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Shoot Mini Driver you just sold ME on the Spring Drive. Ha ha ha. I think it's my next step too. Damn this post just cost me a lot of money. LOL

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
kohym said:

My suggestions were just a personal preference based purely on what I like and what I think has the most value for the money, and also what I can project about you since I have read your blog enough times. It wasn't intended to be a comment on zero sum.....this or that. All of the suggestions are winners, its just which are the best for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
minidriver said:
If I were going to get a Grand Seiko today, these would be at the top of my list....

[/quote]

I Agree with you on the GMT spring drive GS ( maybe next years project ), but what about the 50th anniversary GS watches?

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
The 50th anniversary pieces are stunning. But they are pricey because of their limited edition status. I'll be happy with any of the above.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts