The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the wealth of experience and knowledge with Seiko divers on this forum, I’m curious what your favorite model is? It can be a whole model range, or a specific variant/reference. I don’t have the same experience in this field like others here, but I will say though, that I really like the 6105 series divers. They flew their own flag in terms of quite a few design details.
Watch Analog watch Clock Font Watch accessory

· Registered
228 Posts
I'd go with a Turtle, followed by the SKX781 (Monster 1st Gen). Though Monsters have a relative life so for compared to other divers (they were created in 2000); there really is nothing like them — with a very unique, in your face design.

· Special Member
1,875 Posts
for me a diver is a watch that gets wet, so that rules out vintage,
though i do collect vintage divers. if i dared to bring my 6309-7049
into the water (and i bet i could, but it's a bet i won't chance losing)
that would be the one, but i have a stable of new divers i take into
the water with me, and i love them all....i ordered a 38mm helson
titanium with a yellow dial and i asked them for a lumed black bezel
instead of the stainless steel it comes on, during their recent sale,
when it comes, i think it'll be the bees knees. coloristically, at least.

· Registered
5 Posts
for me a diver is a watch that gets wet, so that rules out vintage,
though i do collect vintage divers. if i dared to bring my 6309-7049
into the water (and i bet i could, but it's a bet i won't chance losing)
that would be the one, but i have a stable of new divers i take into
the water with me, and i love them all....i ordered a 38mm helson
titanium with a yellow dial and i asked them for a lumed black bezel
instead of the stainless steel it comes on, during their recent sale,
when it comes, i think it'll be the bees knees. coloristically, at least.
That's fair. Its personally not much a concern for me. If I swam more I'd probably end up with the sbdy015 (I wonder why). Do you have a picture of your helson on here?

· Registered
700 Posts
Surprising to me, and late to the party, my current favorite is the SBBN031 Tuna. I am in the minority where I prefer the monster hands and I love the bezel insert, dial and indice design. Rubber nato, samurai black edition rubber and "baby tuna" monster bracelet all see wrist time.
Watch Analog watch Clock Font Material property

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property

Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Font

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Measuring instrument

Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Clock Silver Material property

I also love my samurai and have high hopes for my incoming gen 1 blue titanium 😉

· Special Member
1,875 Posts
That's fair. Its personally not much a concern for me. If I swam more I'd probably end up with the sbdy015 (I wonder why). Do you have a picture of your helson on here?
i don't have the Helson yet, nor have i "seen" it, it hasn't been sent yet either. but they tend to do quick
sends. so it should be here soon. when i say i haven't "seen" it, i'm not sure how it will be with a yellow
dial and a black bezel, but i don't think it can be bad.

· Special Member
1,767 Posts
6309 turtle even though I don't have one. Realistically, I have a 7548. It has everything, precision and pedigree.
I am in love with my recently acquired 7548-7000, a set of VTA gaskets just arrived and I am going to change the battery when I do the gaskets, my local Seiko AD has a (dry) pressure tester and I may avail myself before taking it to the keys. It is not my all time fav, but I am really enjoying the watch.
Watch Plant Clock Finger Water

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Surprising to me, and late to the party, my current favorite is the SBBN031 Tuna. I am in the minority where I prefer the monster hands and I love the bezel insert, dial and indice design. Rubber nato, samurai black edition rubber and "baby tuna" monster bracelet all see wrist time. View attachment 502602
View attachment 502599
View attachment 502598
View attachment 502603
View attachment 502601
View attachment 502600

I also love my samurai and have high hopes for my incoming gen 1 blue titanium 😉
This case design is definitely growing on me, and it looks way more versatile than one would think when it comes to straps. Love the little step in the dial too!

· Special Member
5,791 Posts
A couple of years ago I sold off all three of my 6105-8119s, I kept and will keep my unopened 6309-7049 I purchased in 1980, my fav diver of all time is this May 2014 Gen1 Sumo, I did add a Marinemaster buckle to the bracelet but otherwise all stock :)
View attachment 502593
My sumo is one of my all time favorites, can’t get enough of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
700 Posts
This case design is definitely growing on me, and it looks way more versatile than one would think when it comes to straps. Love the little step in the dial too!
Yep, I was late to party and not on board until I was. If you find one that suits your style (for me it's the SBBN031) there really is nothing like. As with many Seiko divers, it is all Seiko and no mistaking it. Too many of the Tunas are gawdy for me with black and gold shrouds/bezels and I am no fan of silver bezels (many tuna ref have them) so it took me a while to take the leap. I will likely add a SBBN037 or 043 "bluna" before it is said and done but the 031 ticks all the marks for me. They really are quite wearable and I was pretty surprised by just how substantial this quartz is. Its no ecozilla by Citizen but it has some heft yet comfortable on wrist.

· Registered
393 Posts
My favorite is the 6458. For those of us with smaller wrists, there aren't a ton of choices. I find the somewhat thinner (11mm) case of this quartz diver works better with the smaller dimensions of the case. I know the 7c43 was offered in a similar case, but it's slightly thicker due to the full magnetic shield, and the domed crystal is a magnet for scratches. I wish the SKX013 was thinner and had the shorter lug-to-lug of the quartz cases, because it would be nice to have a mechanical option as well.

I'm able to find all new seals for these, so I'm comfortable showering or swimming with them. I'd confidently take them snorkeling, but I don't scuba, so that's as deep as mine would ever go. The movement is very well made, with 7 jewels and an all-metal train, and is easy to overhaul. There's a rate trimmer to fine tune the 40-year old quartz crystal, which was lost when Seiko moved to the 7c43.

The dial is, in my opinion, much nicer than the full size 7548 or the larger 7c43 versions, because of the applied indices. The mirror polish catches the light and is a nice match for the hands.

I've got a couple of these, an orange 600a, and a black 6020, which is a transitional model between the 6458 and the 7c43, with a screw-down crystal retention ring.

Watch Hand Analog watch Azure Gesture

Watch Hand Analog watch Gesture Clock

1 - 20 of 40 Posts