The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been enjoying a new arrival today (SUN021 swapped into a SUN019 bracelet) and noticed the top part of the case has a pattern to the finish that almost looks like it emanated from the center of the dial and extends out, as if each 'score' mark would line up with a point of the sweep second hand (if this was a spring drive with a smooth second hand sweep, and not a Kinetic). Not sure what this style is called?

Also, took an extra picture of the side of the watch so that when this is found 30 years from now by one of us wondering how to refinish one of these, we have a record of the original finishes. (Yes, the top link appears to have this same detail to cause it to blend in with the case, the other links don't appear to have it, or at least not as much)

The side is harder to see. It's basically without visible marks, but if you look reaaaally close, there's the hint of a 'horizontal' brush stroke to it. It is not mirror finished, it has a matte appearance to it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Generally just refered to as sunburst I think. Made by rotating the case against a lapping plate...across the centre line. Well that's my understanding anyhow. I will buy/make one as soon as I can.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree, I think it's usually called sunburst. When the brush lines are concentric with the dial I believe it's a circular finish. Some people also refer to the sunburst as a radial finish.
To add to the confusion, I've also seen the circular finish called radial (incorrectly, in my opinion.)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question - the blue caseback sticker on this watch says "Made in China" on it, and there is a supplemental oval sticker on top of it that also says "Made in China". Watch was purchased out of Japan, so wondering whether Seiko is moving production to China?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts