The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm not an expert, but these are watches built by Noah Fuller, who also is a member here (and on other fora). I think basically all Tsunamis have the same movement (6R15) as Seiko's Sumo (SBDC001 etc.) and a case alike Seikos 6309-Divers. They're pretty new.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
A Tsunami is the name Noah Fuller gave his watch project, in which he created a modern interpretation of the classic 6306-7000 diver. The watch is made in china largely of parts designed by Noah and manufactured by third party suppliers, with movements coming from Seiko's china based movement manufacturer, TMI.

The name derives from the name collectors have given to the seiko diver's logo (the Seiko Tsunami).

Though the watch is technically not Japanese, it does use a seiko movement and it is designed as a modern homage to one of the most revered classic Japanese divers. As a result, we have no problem with members discussing their purchase watches on the board.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Good analogy, Gabe...It is indeed an interpretation of Mr Tokunaga's cushion cased diver. It uses the finest materials, and is made to be interchangeable with more modern SKX parts as well as having it's own custom made selection of dials etc. It was made to higher specs than many of Seikos newer offerings in it's price-point, with a 5.05mm thick domed sapphire as well as a super thick and deeply threaded caseback. The design on the caseback will be well known to anyone Japanese ..and I'm not talking about the painting ;) You are correct...The movement is indeed in-house Seiko made movement, brand new and direct from SII's factory in Japan (sourced through Seiko's HK's office TMI, as you've mentioned) and is the same as that found in the Sumo etc.. It's a limited piece, with only a few hundred being made before the next product is launched......eventually :-X :D

The Tsunami is, in a nutshell, the fruit of my good friend's passion for vintage Seiko divers, his passion to create, as well as his drive to constantly improve his products and knowledge for the greater good and the enjoyment of collectors. Where this one really comes out different than most "homages" is that it actually IMPROVES on the original as it modernizes it and increases the WR, crystal, caseback, and movement specs, and does NOT just copy the look, use lesser materials, and plunk in an inferior movement.

Jake B

Isthmus said:
A Tsunami is the name Noah Fuller gave his watch project, in which he created a modern interpretation of the classic 6306-7000 diver. The watch is made in china largely of parts designed by Noah and manufactured by third party suppliers, with movements coming from Seiko's china based movement manufacturer, TMI.

The name derives from the name collectors have given to the seiko diver's logo (the Seiko Tsunami).

Though the watch is technically not Japanese, it does use a seiko movement and it is designed as a modern homage to one of the most revered classic Japanese divers. As a result, we have no problem with members discussing their purchase watches on the board.

·
Administrator
30,361 Posts
Having read many of the reviews on the Tsunami and its improved "depth rating" i have often wondered how and were the testing is done and also if the back was opened by a new owner how would he have it tested again to be sure it was 300m as when received?

How often would the seals need to be replaced to maintain this high spec ?

All the above is just out of interest as i take my divers off to wash my hands !! :-[

·
Registered
147 Posts
Jake said:
It was made to higher specs than many of Seikos newer offerings in it's price-point, with a 5.05mm thick domed sapphire as well as a super thick and deeply threaded caseback.
Jake - I find it very interesting you have a domed sapphire of "5.05" mm (not 5.0 mm). Wonder why you want to have the extra 0.05 mm thickness. ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts