The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
"The Prospector"
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evening from a very cold UK.
I was looking through 'our favourite online auction site' tonight.
The Seiko 6309 7040 is, and has always been my 'holy grail' of Seiko divers watches, even more so since Mr Levity kindly let me try his on, when he kindly inivted me to pay him a visit.
I saw this one tonight and I don't really know a about this mark, I do hope that I haven't purchased a 'pup'.
I enclose some pics and any comments on the afore mentioned '6309 7040' would be much appreicated as usual.
What I am asking really Is it puka ???(i.e. correct or a copy) When I have the answer, I will the tell you watch it cost me lol
Thks and regards,
Vyn

Attachments

·
Special Member
27,725 Posts
Aftermarket insert, dial and hands, The case and caseback looks overpolished...Better check the movement...And quite possibly the bezel...Sorry if I sent disappointment.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Just my inexpert observations.
Lume pip on bezel insert is too small, Day date window should be beveled, hands should be beveled and more rounded at the arrow head of the minute hand.
Original brush finish on top of the case has been polished away.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
chapter ring seems to be missing too

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Hmmmm not good then
That rather depends on what your take is on AM parts.

Ive built a 6309 7290 using mainly am parts because finding genuine parts is pretty difficult. i started with a case and a movement. Its very much like your 7040, ill just replace the AM parts as and when they crop up.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I agree with the above but personally would not be bothered if it was not too much money. The aftermarket dials are OK as long as is not one with the horrid green lume blobs and it will look tons better with a dial ring. Also reapplying the brushing is a piece of piss with the 7040 case as long as you are Ok with a emery finish and not lapped. Lapping requires the correct tools and setup.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Looks like the chapter ring is painted black. It might clean up if your careful and its only water based but the minute markers are fragile.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Like the others have said there's a fair bit of aftermarket stuff on there....

That said tis not the end of the world unless you paid full original type money for it

All 3 of these came with crappy aftermarket bits, i simply swapped those for Jake and Harold's finest and this is the result....

·
"The Prospector"
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Erm I e mailed the guy after what you guys had said and I got a full refund. Why is it so hard too find a 6309 7040 that hasn't been butchered in some way !!
Thk you for all of your help guys much appreicated !!!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
What did the description say ?
Did it claim to be original or just omit the aftermarket info?
Its not really hard to find a unmolested one, its not as easy as it used to be, it just takes patience and knowledge of the signs of aftermarket parts, and also ever increasing deep pockets...
They do come up on forums such as this, but the people who can spot the good ones will snap them up quickly, a good solid genuine watch wont hang around on SC very long unless its grossly overpriced, I estimate good originals are selling on average for £250 plus these days.

·
"The Prospector"
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just omited the aftermarket info I will learn gonna give up on those tbh too much hassle and I really don't know enough about them

1 - 20 of 24 Posts