The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
phil said:
Such a newbie ...I know
Waiting in suffering - a typical condition experienced by watch collectors. Typical symptoms include sweaty palms, chewed off fingernails, obsessive checking of package tracking status, and outrunning your dog at the sound of any vehicle approaching your home or footsteps approaching your mailbox. :p

Nah the guys above are right. It's an old term that developed at Timezone. I'm sure they still have a post somewhere explaining its origins.

·
Registered
162 Posts
OH MY GOSH!!! I even found myself looking at others peoples watches today at Universal Studios. I think I have a severe case.....

·
Registered
547 Posts
What'd I Spend?!!

Nope, that's not it either, although I imagine we've all looked at our checking account balance post purchase and made that very remark.

Gabe has it right - it developed at TimeZone. It was based an an old post from the early part of the last decade that sent up the RainMan film, with the idiot savant Raymond being an expert on everything about watches, but completely clueless regarding the rest of existence. ;D

·
Registered
772 Posts
Isthmus said:
Waiting in suffering - a typical condition experienced by watch collectors. Typical symptoms include sweaty palms, chewed off fingernails, obsessive checking of package tracking status, and outrunning your dog at the sound of any vehicle approaching your home or footsteps approaching your mailbox. :p

Nah the guys above are right. It's an old term that developed at Timezone. I'm sure they still have a post somewhere explaining its origins.
obsessive checking of package tracking status. Lol so true

·
Registered
82 Posts
quartzimodo said:
What’s a “WIS”, you may ask? Well, this term describes those who are seriously committed to wristwatch collecting and are often overzealous in keeping their watches clean and pristine as possible.

By the way, the acronym “WIS” stands for Watch Idiot Savant. WIS-folk are not confined to just expensive timepieces, they can own a cheap Timex or Casio but all the same, are very careful with their wrist wear.

Watch Idiot Savants (WIS) are known to avoid their watches from getting scraped against the table surface, hide their watches behind their backs in crowds to avoid getting scratches and scuffs. You could say a WIS are somewhat obsessive compulsive about their watches.

To many, a wristwatch is nothing than an adornment to tell the time. You can always tell the time from your cellphone’s clock or PDA. WIS-folk care for their watches as though they are worth their weight in gold. They also know a great deal about timepieces in general, possibly more than than your average watch store salesperson.

If you’re buying a watch that’s owned by a WIS, chances are it’s looking like a new watch with the slightest traces of wear and tear, usually invisible to the naked eye. Contrast this to the beat up, junked second hand watches that you usually find in flea markets or pawn stores.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The OFFICIAL internet definetion:

WIS, channel 10, is an NBC-affiliated television station located in Columbia, South Carolina, owned by Raycom Media. WIS' studios are located on Bull Street in downtown Columbia, and its transmitter is located in Lugoff, South Carolina.

or short for WISconsin. ;D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike said:
You ain't the only one you're killing! I have to admit, that was pretty funny.

Mike
[/quote]
Thanks for replys.
I am definitely not a "WIS" but I do like the line "Got my cheese wiz(s)boy?" from The Blues Brothers movie .

·
Registered
216 Posts
While there are true WIS out there, I don't count myself as one of them.
I just don't know enough to qualify as Savant. Maybe more of a Watch Geek (though that may bring connotations of a forum I've never been to) or perhaps better, Watch enthusiast or hobbyist.
Possibly with a few years more of following the Masters (no not the Tiger-watch one) I may someday attain full WISdom. O:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts