The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Good honest daily wear and battle scar story for every mark on a watch.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
what it is good honest wear....there is nothing better

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
To me it just means plain old dirt or rust. Somehow old dirt or rust has become part of collecting vintage items and not exclusive to watches.

Michael

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Wabi is beautiful imperfection.

Patinated lume is the most common form of wabi, because it evokes the history of the watch in a way sparkling white lume doesn't, without rust/rot/dirt.

Less eye-of-the-beholder than other forms, and the reason we see so much 'fauxtina' these days - dials with brown lume simulating wabi.

I'd put my Daini 6217 up as another example of wabi:

[last pic from Spencer]

Moisture damage and discoloration over time, imperfections everywhere - but I haven't seen a 6217 I'd trade it for.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
That being said my 6217-8001 dial has discolored lume and imperfection that I could repair but I just never seem to do. It has to be the bad influence from all of the "wabi" mojo floating around this forum!:eek:hmy:

Michael

·
Administrator
32,844 Posts
Wabi is beautiful imperfection.

Patinated lume is the most common form of wabi, because it evokes the history of the watch in a way sparkling white lume doesn't, without rust/rot/dirt.

Less eye-of-the-beholder than other forms, and the reason we see so much 'fauxtina' these days - dials with brown lume simulating wabi.

Moisture damage and discoloration over time, imperfections everywhere - but I haven't seen a 6217 I'd trade it for.
IMO the examples you show do have proper wabi, the hands and dials have grown old gracefully and show a lovely patina which is real wabi.

But when you see watches especially divers with rotten corroded dials and hands and some call it wabi then imo that is a load of BS :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I love this line in the wikipedia article:

"The idea is that being surrounded by natural, changing, unique objects helps us connect to our real world and escape potentially stressful distractions."

Jeff C

·
Special Member
7,346 Posts
IMO the examples you show do have proper wabi, the hands and dials have grown old gracefully and show a lovely patina which is real wabi.

But when you see watches especially divers with rotten corroded dials and hands and some call it wabi then imo that is a load of BS :)
Spot on Tiger ! Wabi is desirable, pawning off rot and corrosion and damage as wabi is deceptive and intended to elevate junk to desirable collectable status.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Wabi is in the eye of the beholder....

Wabi was derived from the Japanese expression "Wabi-sabi" (侘寂) which represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete". It is a concept derived from the Buddhist teaching of the three marks of existence (三法印 sanbōin), specifically impermanence (無常 mujō), the other two being suffering (苦 ku) and emptiness or absence of self-nature (空 kū).
Wabi now connotes rustic simplicity, freshness or quietness, and can be applied to both natural and human-made objects, or understated elegance. It can also refer to quirks and anomalies arising from the process of construction, which add uniqueness and elegance to the object. Sabi is beauty or serenity that comes with age, when the life of the object and its impermanence are evidenced in its patina and wear, or in any visible repairs. (from Wikipedia)

or what everybody else above said......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts