The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just doing my research on this beauty. Feels nice on-
Have done a little research and can't figure out the P.
Is it a metal code??
Cam

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I wondered that myself. I have three (Similar to your 8160) 7005-8042s, two of which have the P after the No.

They all have 7005A movements and are stainless steel cased.They are from '72,'73 and '74, the only difference being the colour of the dials. So why does the '72 not have a P designation ?

Yours is from '71, so it's not a later date issue.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've noticed on a few other models with different suffixes. P, G, S so I wondered if it was a plating or dial code. I'm glad I'm not asking a stupid question.
For some reason I would have thought the watch on the right was the odd one out Mr Levity.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Think you'll find it's the factory designation code - i.e. where it was built.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Think you'll find it's the factory designation code - i.e. where it was built.

Ah,thanks, maybe. The silver '72 says Japan, and the other two say TL.

Camrok, can't see anything on your caseback.

To confuse the issue a bit more, on the dials the '72 and dark blue '73 say 7005-8060 R AD, and the lighter blue '74 says 7005-8060T.

The lighter blue one appears to be all original, but I had to stick two of the markers back and it came with a huge scratch across the dial. All are LMBs (Lunch Money Beaters).

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
The dial codes are a completely different issue, the suffixes give info on hand pinion height etc.
There are many Seiko factories, and each has a letter designation - but it's not an easy task to decipher them. It's something which was discussed often on the old forum.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
:13:I learn something new every day here !

So, forgive me if A) I'm hijacking Camrok's thread and B) if this next one is a daft question.

They all have the Daini symbol both front and back, all have the same model No. with or without the P suffix, but possibly slightly different innards ?

Does this mean that Daini is more of an area than a specific factory ?

As you seem to have an encyclopedic memory for links to things I've never even thought of, is there one for the definitive history of the factories ?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think there is any such thing as a hijacking of a forum post. It's just like a conversation in real life!
I love learning more about these awesome companies

1 - 10 of 10 Posts