The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chinos blog has it up today... Comes in black and gold as well. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
In fact, I ordered mine right before the official release date in Japan, which was yesterday 8)

Higuchi already put the package in the mail. It should be here by the middle of next week. >:D

LCD digital watches iare what started my love affair with watches back in the late 70s and 80s. Looking forward to this new rendition with 21mm lugs, oyster style bracelet and slightly wider case than the older SBPG models from the Power Design Project released in late 2008.

Some teaser photos posted by Chino yesterday. I ordered the Seiko Spirit "New Business Style" SBFG001 exactly as shown:

Keep your eyes peeled for the unveiling! I hope the watch meets and exceeds my expectations.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
LUW said:
I think its 70's/80's kind of nice.

With a bigger 43mm case (10mm thick), radio control, 100m water resist case and solar.

My last vintage Citizen ana-digi from 1983 was 31mm wide by 6mm thick. I wore that for 25 years. People don't realize how tiny vintage LCD watches from the 70s and 80s used to be. :))

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice one Mini Driver! I think its retro cool too. I agree with the digital watches being the beginning of the love affair.

I'm curious on the (5) band thing. Casio screwed me and came out with 6 band technology shortly after the release of their 5 band technology... Do you think Seiko will do the same? Or, have they incorporated the two signals in Japan into one band?

Regardless this model has def caught my attention. Solar power is an interesting concept for watches. Soon Solar Atomic will be more well known.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
I took the risk getting it, because the price is really reasonable for what you are getting here. Besides, there is nothing like this being offered by Seiko or Citizen in the US. As much as I like digitals, I could never get into the "Casio" thing.

The S760 LCD Digital radio controlled module used in this Seiko Spirit receives signals from the following atomic clock radio towers:

WWVB - Ft. Collins, CO USA
DCF-77 - Frankfurt - Germany
JPY40/60 - Japan
MSF - Rugby, UK

The 40Khz and 60Khz signals from the Japanese radio towers are treated as 2 separate frequencies. Citizen does the same with their R/C models as well as German Junghans.

Will Seiko ever issue an updated S760 to receive the BPC China atomic clock signal? May be. Seems to me non-Casio digitals are making a comeback and I find it interesting Seiko re-issue them some 20+ years after they halted production.

I think this is a neat watch. The older SPBG001/003 models from the Power Design Project series have reviewed very well, so I hope this new rendition lives to expectation.

The future of quartz is indeed solar/radio-controlled. I believe HEQ will be more of a niche market, but we'll see what impact the upcoming Bulova Precisionists will have in the landscape.

Jan-10 said:
Nice one Mini Driver! I think its retro cool too. I agree with the digital watches being the beginning of the love affair.

I'm curious on the (5) band thing. Casio screwed me and came out with 6 band technology shortly after the release of their 5 band technology... Do you think Seiko will do the same? Or, have they incorporated the two signals in Japan into one band?

Regardless this model has def caught my attention. Solar power is an interesting concept for watches. Soon Solar Atomic will be more well known.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Jan-10 said:
I'm curious to see real life photos! Especially of the clasp.

You will my friend. If the clasp is similar to the one used in the SPBG001 models, is nice but nothing impressive. The fold over is pressed steel instead of machined. But what it is ironic is that the clasp has 3 or 4 micro adjustment holes while most JDM Seiko claps only have 2. :))

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
For comparison purposes....

Here is the original Seiko Spirit "Power Design Project" SBPG001 released in late 2008:

And this is the new ones released yesterday in Japan. The SBFG003 in hard coated PVD finish:

The PVD and gold (gasp!) coated versions are about USD $30 more expensive than the SBFG001 model in plain stainless steel.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bloody Hell that watch is cool. Actually I love them. I think i'm gonna go with the SBFG001 like you did Minidriver... Interesting to me is that it seems you are allowed to display the day of the week or the world time. If thats indeed true, I really like that feature. I'll be ordering one of these in the coming days as well.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Jan-10 said:
Bloody Hell that watch is cool. Actually I love them. I think i'm gonna go with the SBFG001 like you did Minidriver... Interesting to me is that it seems you are allowed to display the day of the week or the world time. If thats indeed true, I really like that feature. I'll be ordering one of these in the coming days as well.

Yes you can. In addition to that, you can display a second time zone in all available modes 8)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I like the use of lugs on the newer model. Very tiny though so I don't know if you could get anything aftermarket to fit. But imagine a mesh bracelet on there. Kinda vintage and futuristic at the same time.

Jay I wouldn't worry about the 5 vs 6 band thing. Unless you are a regular traveler to China, its just for marketing.

What international agency do we have to petition to get atomic towers for our friends in the Southern Hemisphere?!?!

I just find RC to be the coolest thing ever. It is frustrating that Citizen alone must have at least 50 RC models in all price windows that only sync to Japan. Between the Alterna and Reguno lines there is a lot of cool stuff. Thanks for the link Frank!

I love this vintage looking cushion cased radio controlled sport diver. This one has some kind of special branding on it.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
John, that PVD Citizen Alterna was issued to the Japan soccer team (Eliminated from the World Cup in South Africa) by the Japan Football Association. I love the cushion case design and the subtle date window in the 1 o'clock region of the dial. Citizen used to make tons more variants with that cushion case style in years past.

If you are a fan of the Japan soccer team :D Go for it! 8)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Jan-10 said:
I hit Europe from time to time on business, but China- Not so much. :)
I think the whole multi band is not only for marketing but also manufacturing purposes. Once you have the technology to make multiband, its a lot easier to make a single module than seperate ones assuming it isn't cost prohibitive to do so. Galpo posted a non-RC version of an RC model Casio and he could still see the "RCVD" in the corner suggesting that it is the same RC capable module with just the antenna turned off.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Oh congrats on this cool incoming. I look forward to your review and comparison pics. ;)

It surely oozes some retro sweetness. Its like Jay said, retro and futuristic come to mind.

I do like this one alot. Nice to see a lot of info on the display.

Can't wait to see more.

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting. That wass the Olive Green Casio I would imagine. Hmm, Thanks for that, I missed that he could see that.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just ordered mine. Sent Higuchi an email asking for price and will send funds as soon as he emails me back.
Excited for this one. It got me right away, then as soon as Mini Driver chimed in I knew it was a matter of minutes before I emailed Katsu. I hope it comes with the black display. I ordered SBFG001. :)

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Jan-10 said:
I just ordered mine. Sent Higuchi an email asking for price and will send funds as soon as he emails me back.
Excited for this one. It got me right away, then as soon as Mini Driver chimed in I knew it was a matter of minutes before I emailed Katsu. I hope it comes with the black display. I ordered SBFG001. :)

Congrats Jay!

I think you and I are the first 2 people on earth to grab these watches. Katsu-san should be getting back to you around 9-10PM tonight, but I am not sure he opens on Saturdays (It is 5:18AM, saturday June 10 in Japan as we speak).

PS: The new SBFG series all come with the negative LCD display. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts