The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does everyone have fancy velvet-lined hand-rubbed walnut cases for their collections? Mine has grown enough that I can't just leave them heaped up on top of the dresser anymore. The cases I see for sale all seem to be fancy and expensive. I just want something practical and not too bulky. Expert suggestions?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I think you'll see all kinds of options in use here. Just today I noticed a picture of a very expensive collection stored in a plastic slotted box.

I store my modest collection in a 10 slot box. Felt lined, but a cheap veneer with a glass top. Looks nice, but not very expensive.

You can't go wrong. Get what you like and are willing to spend. I will recommend if you have any solar charged watches to get a glass top so the watch will get some ambient room lighting while being stored.

Check out this thread to see some options.

http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/topic,2208.0.html

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
monosodium said:
Does everyone have fancy velvet-lined hand-rubbed walnut cases for their collections? Mine has grown enough that I can't just leave them heaped up on top of the dresser anymore. The cases I see for sale all seem to be fancy and expensive. I just want something practical and not too bulky. Expert suggestions?
I made my own from scrap wood...

[IMG]
[IMG]

unfortunately, I need at least three more and have run out of the right sized wood pieces. I have to mill up some more one of these days so that the rest of the collection has a nice place to live ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Pin said:
I made my own from scrap wood...

unfortunately, I need at least three more and have run out of the right sized wood pieces. I have to mill up some more one of these days so that the rest of the collection has a nice place to live ;)
[/quote]

That's pretty handy. Inquiring mind wants to know where you keep your other 72 :-\ watches if they aren't in watch boxes. :o And I thought my desk drawer was a bit cramped with 7 or 8 watches at one point. :-[

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My nicest, museum-type 6138s I keep in a small Seiko display box...

The vast bulk of my collection is sealed away in individually marked plastic bags, each with a tiny desiccant gel pack.

For my 40-ish daily rotation watches (the ones with new gakets), I use a converted and slightly restored vintage needlepoint stand...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I toss mine in here. It keeps them wound, too!

But seriously, my lovely wife gifted me a proper box a few years back. I holds ten watches (on pillows) in the lower drawer, and ten more on top under a lid.

Best,
Myles

·
Registered
230 Posts
Selym said:
I toss mine in here. It keeps them wound, too!

[/quote]

Wow! Good one. Large capacity to boot. Can wind at least 200 watches simultaneously! :))

Mine, I keep them in those plastic storage drawers/organizers for your bits and bobs! Each storage container can manage 25 pieces and saves space as well. ;)

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
watcholic said:
That's pretty handy. Inquiring mind wants to know where you keep your other 72 :-\ watches if they aren't in watch boxes. :eek: And I thought my desk drawer was a bit cramped with 7 or 8 watches at one point. :-[
Some of them are kept on the first display stands I made...

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
monosodium said:
Nope. Locked velvet lined aluminum briefcases with watches held in individual cells on individual velvet cushions. They are actually noticeably less expensive than desktop wooden storage cases and holed more watches more securely.

·
Registered
185 Posts
cobrajet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
did you post pics wow.
thanks.

I used to keep them on a paint roller.

then I upgraded to small cardboard box with pipe insulation

eventually I bought a dual auto winder with storage for 3 more watches making 5 in total-
tried to limit the numbers to fit in there- haha.
that motor died and I am looking/shopping for something.

right now we just moved and all my watches are in a box that would hold files or something.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
+1 on a safe.

Some of you guys have thousands and thousands of $$$ invested in watches and you just keep them on top of your dresser or under the bed?

How many of you keep an inventory of your watches, complete with photos, specs, serial numbers, prices paid and dates of purchase for insurance purposes?

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
Nice!

Cobrajet25 said:
My nicest, museum-type 6138s I keep in a small Seiko display box...

The vast bulk of my collection is sealed away in individually marked plastic bags, each with a tiny desiccant gel pack.

For my 40-ish daily rotation watches (the ones with new gakets), I use a converted and slightly restored vintage needlepoint stand...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
minidriver said:
+1 on a safe.

Some of you guys have thousands and thousands of $$$ invested in watches and you just keep them on top of your dresser or under the bed?

How many of you keep an inventory of your watches, complete with photos, specs, serial numbers, prices paid and dates of purchase for insurance purposes?
I do. I have all the model numbers, serial numbers, production date, and a brief description of each watch databased on my computer and my back-up drive. I also have a dated paper copy of the database printed out and hidden (in case computer and drive are stolen along with the watches)...just in case I ever have to talk to the boys in blue. Lotta tweekers around here... ::) Girlfriend suggested a safe...I should listen to her. ---A

1 - 20 of 22 Posts