The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a small article over at Watch Radar about how there are two camps of Seiko divers people. Modders and purists (that's how they put it). I actually do have an SKX009 (the one with the red and blue bezel) from a few years back which i bought in the highstreet. It has been in a draw for nearly a year as the glass in chipped and i never got round to getting it repaired.
Oh, by the way this is my first post. ^-^ I was directed here from the article i read, they said this was the best place to get information about the divers series of Seikos. I can't decide whether to bring myself to 'mod' the watch, although i do find the prospect quite exciting. To be honest i never knew you could 'mod' a watch until yesterday. I seem to think that if the watch is new and broken then it is OK to change its appearance. However i think that if i had an older version of the watch like the 6105-8110 then i would have to keep it as is.

Sorry for rambling but i think i have the Seiko diver bug. Looks like my discarded watch is getting itself reincarnated. I think i might be somewhere in between a mod and a purist, a Murist.

P.S. Here's the article if your interested, probably nothing you Seiko experts don't already know: http://watchradar.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Murist, I like that.

I like mods but only own 'stock' watches. I have made many mods and purchased some but they never seem to become a permanent part of my collection ???

·
Registered
702 Posts
Purist here.
I've started with mods, but it was endless, and I was bored with each mod after a while.
Also, the mods that "tried" to look like an expensive watch (PO, Sinn, etc) were only a reminder
for not having the original, and that led me to decide on going original as I can.
I have left with one modified watch, which I never wear:

I still find some of the modded watches posted here very nice, some are real beauties, but not for me, sorry.
So welcome, Freddo, it's a verynice place here, with super-nice bunch of people.
Galpo

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mostly purist but I do really like my bead blasted Orange Monster. There are some other mods that I might try eventually, like Sapphire for my Sumo once the crystal is scratched up :'( .

·
Registered
227 Posts
hmmm, difficult question..

For the newer stuff I have no problem in modding it.

For the vintage stuff, I like it to be original but as I have a few original 6309's i also did built a 6309 with 7548 quartz movement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Technoman said:
Murist, I like that.

I like mods but only own 'stock' watches. I have made many mods and purchased some but they never seem to become a permanent part of my collection ???

Sorry to be an idiot. What do you all mean when you say 'stock' watch?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
freddo said:
Sorry to be an idiot. What do you all mean when you say 'stock' watch?

Stock just means (to me at least), as it left the factory. No aftermarket parts fitted.

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Used to me a mod fan and had a very nice job done by IWW on the SKX007 I had at the time (see pic), but now I like both - it's nice to see an older watch looking as it should sometimes. Having said that if I still had an old Darth Tuna it would be fun to experiment with some really bright blue or orange lume on the hands and indices - a subtle but attractive mod.
Cheers
Steve

SKX007 modified by IWW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts