The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 50s Gruen Precision. The movement is from the swiss factory but watch assembly was done in Columbus OH. Not sure what's left here in the states these days.

·
Registered
530 Posts
To my knowledge RGM is the only outfit actually making movements in the U.S. All the rest just assemble foreign parts.

I collect American Pocketwatches and Hamilton is my favorite.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
wow...really there is not more making all in USA..how sad is this

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
does anyone here in the states make their own movement?...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Well I have an 'Ansonia' cast iron mantle clock, similar to this one (dates to about 1900), that I bought in an antique market almost 50 years ago for 5 shillings (25p in 'new' money) ;)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I am a huge 40's and 50's Bulova fan. Manufactured on 5th avenue in New York City New York Around 40 miles from me I have quite a few. I love the 50"s styling of the dials and the movements on the Bulova watches are some of the best quality Swiss made.
This is my favorite and very rare Bulova
It is a double dated 1941/1942 WWII era production watch. The model name for it was The Broadcaster. It is 14K rose gold and as you can see mint.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
My second favorite I have disassembled to restore it. It is a Gruen precession Alarm model from sometime in the late 50 or early 60's It definitely pre dates the Seiko Bellmatic.
Inside the case when you remove the rear cover is a heavy metal bowl shapped bell that fits over the movement and is strick by a mechanical hammer attached to the movement. As you can see it need a full restoration but it should be one cool watch when it finally gets done. Here is the dial looking ugly. The movement is in much better shape than the dial.

This is the same model but about 5 years newer

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
wow...that is gorgeous...

Well I have an 'Ansonia' cast iron mantle clock, similar to this one (dates to about 1900), that I bought in an antique market almost 50 years ago for 5 shillings (25p in 'new' money) ;)

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Mike that is a gorgeous watch...really showcases how amazing things once were

I am a huge 40's and 50's Bulova fan. Manufactured on 5th avenue in New York City New York Around 40 miles from me I have quite a few. I love the 50"s styling of the dials and the movements on the Bulova watches are some of the best quality Swiss made.
It is a double dated 1941/1942 WWII era production watch. The model name for it was The Broadcaster. It is 14K rose gold and as you can see mint.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
i can not wait to see this one done...

My second favorite I have disassembled to restore it. It is a Gruen precession Alarm model from sometime in the late 50 or early 60's It definitely pre dates the Seiko Bellmatic.
Inside the case when you remove the rear cover is a heavy metal bowl shapped bell that fits over the movement and is strick by a mechanical hammer attached to the movement. As you can see it need a full restoration but it should be one cool watch when it finally gets done. Here is the dial looking ugly. The movement is in much better shape than the dial.

This is the same model but about 5 years newer

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow! These are beautiful. Nice to see high quality timepieces being made a spit away from me. Doubt I'll ever be able to afford one though.

·
Registered
844 Posts
16s/23j Waltham Vanguard Up/Down. I would say my Accutron 214...but the index jewels and index wheels were made by the Swiss...so no Accutron is USA made through and through.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My freshly restored accutron 214 on a spiedel band uploadfromtaptalk1425472821191.jpg

For others with this watch/movement what did you do for a power cell? It requires a maximum of 1.45v but all the cells with the correct form factor are 1.55v. It runs with the higher voltage but is a tad fast and I question how it will affect the NpN.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Bulova was located in Woodside N.Y which is in Queens County. They have or had a huge facility there. I used to pass it every day on my way to school back in the 60s. The Accutron was developed in Long Island City in a facility they set up specifically for that purpose after Bulova in Switzerland cancelled the project.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts