The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These watches were popular 40 years ago. They had a blank face and when a button was pushed at the side of the watch then you could see the digital time light up . Do they still sell this watch ? I had one but what I didn't like about the watch was that if you were writing at University , you would have to stop writing with your hand ,to push the button on the watch which was on your other hand.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Pulsar. I have the Pulsar II day-date model. And the "feature" is really annoying when you actually need to know the time in a pinch.
A silly novelty that is only replicated by some G-Shock negative displays.

Attachments

·
Poet Laureate
781 Posts
You're thinking of the early- to mid-70s LED watches. Pulsar made the first, then many, mostly American, companies also made them. Most of them did not survive, sadly since they used fragile circuit boards vulnerable to corrosion and leaking batteries.
If you want to buy one, I suggest a Bulova, since they seem to have survived the best. Here's my 1976 Bulova Computron Driver's watch.
You can also buy Pulsars, many of which have had their circuit boards replaced with modern reproductions.
IMG_20200127_221337_455_1584334709225.jpg
IMG_20200226_181822_336_1584334536588.jpg

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pulsar. I have the Pulsar II day-date model. And the "feature" is really annoying when you actually need to know the time in a pinch.
A silly novelty that is only replicated by some G-Shock negative displays.

Yes, yes, that's the one

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're thinking of the early- to mid-70s LED watches. Pulsar made the first, then many, mostly American, companies also made them. Most of them did not survive, sadly since they used fragile circuit boards vulnerable to corrosion and leaking batteries.
If you want to buy one, I suggest a Bulova, since they seem to have survived the best. Here's my 1976 Bulova Computron Driver's watch.
You can also buy Pulsars, many of which have had their circuit boards replaced with modern reproductions.
View attachment 444257
View attachment 444255

So these are called LED watches ? They lost their popularity, lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
I remember buying one when I saw Kojak using one on TV.

Ran down the batteries in about a week! :grin:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I had one for 2 days in 1978, stopped working and Dad took it back and came back with an OMAX lcd.

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts