The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I am currently in the market for my first Seiko 5, as I would like to get a first-hand impression of the quality Seiko can deliver in this price range.
What I would like to get is a really classy watch with a timeless and elegant design and a rather subdued dial color - cream, (off-)white, silver, grey, or black would be my choice.
As there are so many models, it is quite difficult to get a good overview, so I could really use your help to gather all the nicest Seikos for relatively little money.
Please join in and post what you consider the classiest 5ers.

I'll start with two wonderful examples of what I have in mind:

SNX113K:

SNX111K:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Hi,
Your two (excellent) choices are classic Seiko's with their baton markers and double baton at 12 o'clock. You'll find the quality of the Seiko 5's is exceptional for their price, except for the bracelet, which is a well-made but cheap folded-steel job. It rattles, pinches wrist hair and just doesn't feel good on the wrist, imho. Thanks to fine examples from Thomas, Axel, Stratman and other members of the SCWF, I quickly came to the conclusion that a nice well chosen strap would be an ideal complement to each watch in my small collection of Seiko 5's.
Here is an example in blue, using a Morellato color-matched lizard strap:

You are indeed correct when you say that there are many choices. I think I have around 10 or 12 contemporary Seiko 5's, and I like them all! :)
Cheers,

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
robbie409 said:
What model is that nice blue one ?

(gotta have me one ;) )
That blue one is the SNXS77K, and here is a green SNX447K, identical except for dial color:

Other dial colors are available, the only problem is choosing among them! :)

Edit: for example, this dressier silver dial on a black croc strap:

Cheers,

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was fast! Thanks a lot for your input, guys.
Please keep them coming. O0

Andrew, you are correct regarding the bracelets.
Having owned an Orient 3-Star, I think I know what to expect and don't plan on using the stock metal.
As you've demonstrated, a nice strap is the way to go.

·
Registered
547 Posts
dschaen81 said:
Andrew, you are correct regarding the bracelets.
Jan, I can back up that info regarding the bracelets, too. The stock bracelet that came with my Poor Man's Grand Seiko was folded links. FWIW, the bracelet in my picture came from a Cassio Edifice watch. It had solid links and I was able to adapt it to the Seiko with no trouble, the link size was identical and the clasp from the Seiko bracelet was an easy transplant to the Casio bracelet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have one Seiko 5, the SNX113K, so it's my classiest. I think it's a classic design. Not sure if it's for sale new, mine is from june 2003.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A very nice Superior, kew. Don't they come with sapphire crystals? More on the sporty side, though.

Jeff, thanks for the additional information. I think I remember reading a post on the old forum about replacing the folded bracelet on the PMGS with a solid one from a different watch. (Maybe it was yours)

Mike, you have some truly beautiful pieces there. The black 6119 is just gorgeous.

Roland, thanks for the image of your nice SNX113K. Always great to see pictures in the wild. As far as I know, it is still available.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
if a larger size is not an issue, consider the BFS (SNKF05, SNKF07, SNKF09 & SNKF11). They are not branded as 5's but use the same 7s calibers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own these three...

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks a lot for your input, guys. Even more fine examples.

Isthmus, the BFSs are very unique quality pieces - no doubt about that. However, I already have a number of larger Seiko divers,
so this time I would like to pick up a smaller and elegant piece.

I think the white SNX111K on a nice strap would make a great addition to my black SCVS003.
I even found a supplier in Germany who carries it at a decent price, which is rare.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shoot, the German seller just notified me that the SKX111 is no longer in stock.
I'll have to get one from Singapore then.

However, they do have this cool looking 5 I've never seen before:

SKXF11

I love the clean design of this one, and thought it deserves a place in this thread.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hey Jan:

I would say go with the Seiko 5 Superiors. IMHO, they are the best built in terms of bracelets, have a sapphire crystal, and incredibly beautiful dial work, knurled crowns...really ni skimping. They are discontinued and sold out almost everywhere, yet I still managed to grab one of each of these:

[/center] [center] [/center] [center][img][/center] [center]
[img]
[img][/center] [center] [/center] [center]Angelis ;) [/center]​

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Angelo,

the Superiors are wonderful watches and offer great value. However, I am not a fan of integrated bracelets
since I am looking for something that would go well with a leather strap.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts