The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
30,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday i received this batch of "projects" and before I put them away until I have the time to mess with them I had to check the basics out (helps me sleep :) ).

I got good signs of life from them apart from the 703B, mmm leave it until I have time and I will look at it again, yeah right :) fast forward to 2.30am and I turn in with a satisfied smile on my face with it on my wrist (I really do need to get out more).

This watch had I believe been used as a watch for many years, I had to scrape the grunge from the bracelets and lugs with my brass pick, under the bezel was the same.

There was one pusher missing but I had a spare from a donor but I also had two NOS ones I had bought years ago so I used them as I believe this one will be a keeper (been looking for a half decent one for a while).

The two pushers were actually seized in the case and i had to soak in WD40 for a while and then use some brute force to get them out.

I replaced the crystal as well as the gasket (part # 8656 6600) with a new gasket the crystal is a real tight fit, I think a new crystal dose so much for any watch.

Then onto the movement, firstly the the friction spring for the second wheel was bent out of position and once that was sorted I saw the first signs of life, encouraging :) to cut a long story short I then tried coaxing the other hands round by gently tweaking them with a tooth pick until they were all performing correctly.

Reassemble, some silicone on the gaskets and all good.

The bracelet was filthy, REALLY, but it shows the watch had been someones wearer for a long time.

It must be about full size as I have four links under the clasp, why do guys have links removed rather than hide the spares under the clasp ? anyway into the ultrasonic a few times and then a little cheating, not ideal, but.........I used a black sharpie on the middle links of the bracelet :)

http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japa.../105489-i-love-receiving-package-5-stuff.html

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
And you found time John

That's how its done right John ?
We look at it then start the process along with good cup of Tea
or Coffee , then we realize ........ " Hey its Mid-Night " , and the
wife or girl friend is a sleep and then we sneak in also.
May things have been done like that, but it got done and made room
for the next to be done.
But then we hear about it the next day ............." Right " ?:72:

·
Registered
931 Posts
What a coincidence...

I just received this 7A38-7069 in the mail yesterday and was up past midnight
with a pick and shovel cleaning out the crud from the case and bracelet...I just went outside to take a few pics and noticed that 1.] it had todays date from early this morning and 2.] I put it back together and there was fog under the glass....Oh man , what a bonehead move on my part . There was still moisture from the ultrasonic . I'm glad I found it now at least .
Mr. Tiger , do you have any info on where I can get a new glass and gasket and a case back gasket or seal..mine is torn and cracked . Please and Thank You , Louis

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00001.JPG

Screen shot 2014-06-02 at 8.16.31 PM.png

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
That one is very nice

Looks great Louis, glad you got it going. Its been very hot and
humid also to here maybe the moisture is from that also.
Aloha no LongBike

·
Registered
931 Posts
Thanks LongBike , I opened it up and let it dry properly and hopefully I dodged a bullet..
the micro motor on the 1/10 sec subdial really gets up and goes like a bat outta church

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Good to hear that ............

Well its up and going fine now and that's good to hear.
Its been quite humid here also and the passing showers, but you did
a good job re-checking it and now its done.
It looks great too, and very clean in appearance also.
Congratulation on a fine watch.

Aloha No, ........... kani ala.......... LongBike

·
Registered
885 Posts
I just received this 7A38-7069 in the mail yesterday and was up past midnight ....

.... do you have any info on where I can get a new glass and gasket and a case back gasket or seal..mine is torn and cracked . Please and Thank You , Louis
Any 32.0mm diameter x 1.5mm thick generic mineral glass crystal will fit. But if you want something that looks closer to the original Seiko crystal, with the polished bevel edge, I'd recommend the Sternkreuz XMF 320.927.

You can get that crystal from Cousins UK materials house. They also keep the Seiko caseback gasket FH3181B01.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Mahalo Dazzler...

Any 32.0mm diameter x 1.5mm thick generic mineral glass crystal will fit. But if you want something that looks closer to the original Seiko crystal, with the polished bevel edge, I'd recommend the Sternkreuz XMF 320.927.

You can get that crystal from Cousins UK materials house. They also keep the Seiko caseback gasket FH3181B01.

That's what I was looking for....:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts