The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well anyone who knows me ...knows i love Chrono's...not sure why i have such a fascination with them...but i do...well i got the chance to buy all original 1972 Seiko 6136-6005 pepsi last week and was so excited...i spoke with the seller...he gave me all the specs..he had gotten it passed to him..has it fully serviced back in 2001 and other than missing a few links it was all original...well sadly i got it today to see the packaged damaged and once i opened it...the crown is laying in the package and i can see the stem broken off..pushers were jammed in too...it made me very sad...:73:..so now i of course email the seller...get on the bay and see if Stephan has what i need to fix it and get in parts hunter mode..but my question is..do i send it back?...do i just ask for seller to buy me parts to repair it and send them to me?...with all original watches getting harder to find...what should i do...well thanks in advance God Bless...John...i know if the seller had not sent in a envelope it this would have happened...

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ask for a partial refund...

Try getting in touch with Tom Hickman for a quote for the repair. Then communicate with the seller what the repair costs are.
It depends how much you like the watch (originality etc)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
man, that is my pet peeve: people who do NOT know how to pack an item for optimal protection during shipping. I recently got shipped a pair of Oakley eyeglasses in an envelope similar to the one in your thread. I can't believe she sent something fragile out like that. needless to say, her feedback was not flattering even if the item survived, for the most part.

as to your watch, it probably needed a service anyway. this just forces you to do it earlier than you anticipated. ask for an "ignorance" adjustment saying his faulty packaging caused you some damage.

<* shark >>>>

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'd say the seller should bear the cost of repair. That's a pretty negligent way to ship a watch. If the seller won't pay for repair, then get a full refund and return the watch (in a box, properly wrapped).

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i really like the early ones...earlier the better...good idea...and i emailed Tony Watch Bloke too..thank you again George...appreciate it..well i got it for a good price...but i will not keep it if they will not do anything...honestly i was just going to ask for the parts to repair it..i emailed Stephan with a cursory list of what i seen...what i think it will need is the pushers as one is jammed in..and of course a new crown and stem...they can buy them and send them to me..i thought that is fair..original watch i know it should be properly serviced and a NOS crystal installed...and a few new links...i will just keep with the few battle scars...i like them to look like they should...we will see how honest they are...hopefully this one will end with good news...seller seemed very nice and hopefully honest..God Bless John

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rfortson...well that is my feeling too...send a watch worth hundreds of dollars in a little bubble wrap and a flimsy bubble envelope...i was so sad when the mailman handed it to me...he said this one looks like it might be damaged...i dont think i am asking too much either...thankfully i found it on the bay...so i am told i am protected..

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thesharkman..well this is very true...i had planned in the future to have the crystal replaced and a full service done...i have owned a few of them and always sold each one to fund another project and when this one came up...it looked like the right one and i thought foolishly....i can just use it and deal with it down the road...i have enough projects going at once...looks like i got another one now..

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
frankly my advice would be to seek a full refund and send it back to him the way that you got it, except send it in a box so he can see that nothing further happened upon return.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well that is my thoughts too...i just spoke with Stephan...no stems...this my be more expensive that i anticipated...well just have to wait for seller to respond...the search will resume for a 6139...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Hi John.

The pusher shouldn't be any problem at all. It probably just needs a clean and new gasket installed. They go hard and get sticky. It's an easy job and I can recommend someone to supply good examples at a good price. Even if it's a little bent, they can be straightened. As for the crown, that should be reusable if it isn't damaged. I've read about soaking the crown in something that dissolves the softer stem remainder without damaging the harder crown -alum? The stem is harder but the good thing is you still have the gear that controls the inner bezel - which can be fitted to a new stem. Stems can be found, the gear cannot (I have an idea where to find a stem but I won't put that person on the spot).

All is not lost. I'd ask the seller for a partial refund if he can't supply replacement parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
well one pusher has a dent on it..stem looks to be broke right at end of crown...i have not opened up yet...did not want to disturb anything just in case i have to return it...it is just sad when all of this could have been avoided with a small flat rate box and bubble wrap...when you spend good money...maybe it is me...i over pack things i sell...most of what i receive...i am lucky it is not damaged...i got a plasma tv for repair for my daughter years ago...i spent extra money to make sure it would not be damaged...they put a sleeping bag around it and those loose peanuts and stuffed into a box and the driver said...Good Luck...thankfully it was destroyed...but come on...well i agree if they are smart...they will get me the parts and be done with it...but if not and they protest...i will get a full refund and start over...it is a nice example...but i just looked ...pushers are 32 shipped for genuine ones...crown is like 20 shipped for a genuine one...and not sure who has the genuine stem...Stephan is out of stock...parts add up...i will not take aftermarket parts for these key parts..i am a stickler about that...that way i know without a doubt they will fit...i was in the auto parts industry for over 21 years and there are things that aftermarket is better...but when it comes to these...i try and stick to genuine parts

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is nothing more frustrating than not getting what you should. If this happened to me I would be in trouble because I neither have the time nor the skill to repair that, nor do I really have direct access to anyone who can. All the more reason to value the finer relationships we can develop on this forum. The problem is that the watch you buy represents more to you because of your great interest and appreciation for it. Clearly a seller who ships like that does not really have an appreciation for the machine...just a sell. I am sure you can have the watch you want out of it! I am amazed at the knowledge displayed on this single thread alone.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well we are truly blessed with real craftsman on this forum...and they are so very generous with their knowledge and skills...it is a real honor to be a part of this site...i hope that the seller will do the right thing and get me what i need to make it right again...if you need anything Neil...just ask...i am always glad to help in any way i can too...John

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well update...seller has decided to do the right thing...i did not get all i needed to fix it..but i am thankful that he did something...and thank God i have all of you to help too..God Bless John

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Well update...seller has decided to do the right thing...i did not get all i needed to fix it..but i am thankful that he did something...and thank God i have all of you to help too..God Bless John

Its good that its been sorted to both parties satisfaction :)

Now lets play Devils Advocate :)

We read many posts where sellers are complaining about buyers buying and then trying to get a refund or a discount for minor problems etc etc and we slag those buyers off as scammers etc.

So looking at this from the sellers point of view,

He really should of packed better (I get "complaints" about over packing) but he dident and there are many who just don't understand the importance of packing, fact.

The crown/stem issue, imo and i'm no expert but I think the crown/stem is a weak point on the 6139s and I think I've seen more 6139 stems broke off in crowns than any other model, wrongly handled they seem easy to break, don't ask me how i know that :). So the seller is suspicious as he thinks it was fine when he sold it.

The op mentions that the pusher was bent, again I have seen many bent 6139 pushers (I have a few myself) and imo how ever bad the packing was it would be almost impossible to bend the pushers ?

The seller I believe had 100% feed back ? the op emails the seller a few times complaining and also posts the sellers iD on the forum :( at this point the seller more than likely thinks *@*! give the buyer some $$$s and shut him up and move on.

It can be hard being a seller on ebay or any where else, buying can be a pita as well :)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I still can't believe the stupidity of a seller to ship any watch with a 1/4 of bubble pack and paper as its only protection. When I shipped out the chronograph stems many went all over. I got a couple comments about how they had never seen an item packed so carefully and that was for a $20 dollar stem.
Most of the watches I buy of eBay are packed very well 95% of the time. I did get one yesterday in a small USPS flat rate box. The flap had a single piece of some weird tape over it. A soon as I touched it it came right off and the box which is just held together with flaps fell apart in my lap and the watch was just tucked in Federal Express large envelope meant for documents slid out and fell on my lap. I can't believe that one made it the whole trip without the box falling apart.
I myself go through more rolls of the heavy duty clear 3M packing tape than most businesses in a week if I am in a selling mood.

Michael

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
I still can't believe the stupidity of a seller to ship any watch with a 1/4 of bubble pack and paper as its only protection. When I shipped out the chronograph stems many went all over. I got a couple comments about how they had never seen an item packed so carefully and that was for a $20 dollar stem.
Most of the watches I buy of eBay are packed very well 95% of the time. I did get one yesterday in a small USPS flat rate box. The flap had a single piece of some weird tape over it. A soon as I touched it it came right off and the box which is just held together with flaps fell apart in my lap and the watch was just tucked in Federal Express large envelope meant for documents slid out and fell on my lap. I can't believe that one made it the whole trip without the box falling apart.
I myself go through more rolls of the heavy duty clear 3M packing tape than most businesses in a week if I am in a selling mood.

Michael
Thats what i do Michael, I buy in "bulk"

100 boxes works out at £.14 pence a box, consistent size and great to use which saves me a lot of messing about looking for something suitable.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271741150359?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&var=570574917975&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

"Bulk" buy clear and brown tape.
12 CLEAR CELLOTAPE PACKAGING PARCEL TAPE 48mm x 50m POSTAGE sticky strong plain
ITEM PRICE:
£6.97

Just makes life easy and I like easy :)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
A small price to pay to ensure a $300 dollar watch arrives in good condition. Newspaper is free also and makes great packing material and has been in use for over 100 years as packing material. Here is the states the USPS gives you the shipping boxes for FREE!!! In many different sizes and they deliver them right to your front door and you order them online. There is just no excuse at all to ship an item like a watch in a padded envelope.

Michael

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
A small price to pay to ensure a $300 dollar watch arrives in good condition. Newspaper is free also and makes great packing material and has been in use for over 100 years as packing material. Here is the states the USPS gives you the shipping boxes for FREE!!! In many different sizes and they deliver them right to your front door and you order them online. There is just no excuse at all to ship an item like a watch in a padded envelope.

Michael
My "shipping agent" in the States always sends to me in those boxes, I love them and reuse them over here :)

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well i was not trying to bully the guy or put a billboard to proclaim he was a terrible person...i was upset that i bought a valuable watch...paid him what he asked for it...and when it arrived...it was damaged...he did offer to let me pay to ship it back and refund me..but then i am out the shipping back...and the watch...i never asked for any money...simply to get me the parts to repair it...i just wanted genuine parts..if i was asking too much..i disagree...things happen in shipping...we all make mistakes...i would rather lose money and make it right than take the money and run..and the buyer too bad...that to me is not right either..i do not think i was out of line to ask for the parts...like i told the seller...if he had just put into bubble wrap and put into a flat rate box that costs 5.25 to ship anywhere in the USA...none of this would have happened....Hey i agree...we all sell a little bit and have people who always want something back too...no matter what you do..but this is not the case...i am so easy to deal with...most times i will not say anything...but the reason i bought this is i was told it needed nothing right now..i payed a little more because of it originality...that is why i still say...we sellers have a responsibility when we ship...and buyers...we need to hold the sellers to their word...if we make a mistake...it is not the end of the world..just be honest and make it right...no matter what...Back when i was little growing up in a small town in NY state...things like this would not have happened..people trusted each others word...if a problem arose...they took care of it...but with the world today...people seem to think that has passed...that they can do anything with repercussion...with no consequence...this is came in my life time and even more sad...my generation has seemed to bring this with them...we have came the me generation with all the selfies and other over indulgent stuff...i so wish we were more of the look another person in the eye and stand by your word generation...that would be a great day if we returned to that...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts