The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a 7A38-7260 last Summer on eBay for $50 bucks being sold "as is" It was clean so I figured it was worth fixing. When I received it I did as always I put a fresh battery in it and it worked perfectly. A very attractive dial I was happy.
I just recently saw another on for sale on eBay but somehow something looked off about it so I pulled up some other pictures and found not only my watch with this fixable assembly mistake but two others on eBay with the similar defect. I only found one on all of eBay that was correct.
This watch is mine. The 7260 is recognizable due to its strange out of round outer finish bezel. It has two peaks on it instead of being a perfect circle. On my watch the peaks are at 12 and 6

This watch being sold by an Italian seller with an extremely brief description that just says perfect working order. It appears to be missing not only the whole crystal but the gold ring that fill in the gap between the inner bezel and the glass. You have to llok close but the peaks are at 3 and 9 but not quite centered

So I move on and then find this one. Nice condition but now the two bezel peaks are at clearly at 5 and 11?

Finally I found one that had the bezel in the correct placement. perfectly lined up at the 3 and 9 position for a German seller.

So obviously I can fix mine by carefully removing the bezel and reinstalling it at the 3 and 9 so it lines up with the small flares in the case. I just found it so strange that why have so many of these watches had the outer finish bezel removed? Unless you are completely breaking down a watch 100% to do a full blown showroom like restoration why were so many removed? I though maybe the glass and finish ring might have been one part number at one time though the replacement part number Seiko shows now is just the glass. The case book also has two part numbers for the bezel. i'm guessing one is gold and the other is stainless but it does not say? If you also notice on picture two and three the 60 on the inner ring does not line up with the 12 o clock marker either.

Michael

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Interesting Michael, I have never had one one of those, my guess is the bezels have been removed to change the crystal and those "lumps" have not been noticed by the guy doing the work :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
I dunno...I have 2 of this model with the same case ....7A38-7069 ... and I had never noticed what your pics describe . Both of mine have gold , what appears to be round bezels with no misalignment . I cannot really say I notice the peaks . Both of my inner chapter rings are lined up and I know that if you remove the movements on watches with chapter rings that if you clean the inside of the glass with a cloth it is possible to misalign the ring a bit .
I have included the web address of the forum ...Seiko 7A38 by the numbers .. and you can go there and ask .

http://www.seiko7a38.com/

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dunno...I have 2 of this model with the same case ....7A38-7069 ... and I had never noticed what your pics describe . Both of mine have gold , what appears to be round bezels with no misalignment . I cannot really say I notice the peaks . Both of my inner chapter rings are lined up and I know that if you remove the movements on watches with chapter rings that if you clean the inside of the glass with a cloth it is possible to misalign the ring a bit .
I have included the web address of the forum ...Seiko 7A38 by the numbers .. and you can go there and ask .

http://www.seiko7a38.com/
That is where I got the information about the bezels. Only the 7260 models use the oblong outer bezel and corresponding shape to the case. The 7060/7069 (European/American) same watch do not have the unique shaped outer finish bezel. They are round. Also unusual Seiko will typically make two model numbers of the same watch with the European model ending in 0 and the American ending with a 9. The 7A38 7260 does not have an American counterpart. In other words there is no Seiko 7A38-7269. All the ones I found on eBay for sale were European sellers. Also kind of strange to this 7A38-7260 is there was no factory bracelet listed for it. Only Leather straps and all the pictures I have found do only show leather straps.

·
Registered
931 Posts
That is where I got the information about the bezels. Only the 7260 models use the oblong outer bezel and corresponding shape to the case. The 7060/7069 (European/American) same watch do not have the unique shaped outer finish bezel. They are round. Also unusual Seiko will typically make two model numbers of the same watch with the European model ending in 0 and the American ending with a 9. The 7A38 7260 does not have an American counterpart. In other words there is no Seiko 7A38-7269. All the ones I found on eBay for sale were European sellers. Also kind of strange to this 7A38-7260 is there was no factory bracelet listed for it. Only Leather straps and all the pictures I have found do only show leather straps.
Ah So...very interesting grasshopper...I have the original SS gold/silver bracelet on one of mine and I put a lizard grain leather strap on the other which seems to suit it very well .

·
Registered
885 Posts
That is where I got the information about the bezels. Only the 7260 models use the oblong outer bezel and corresponding shape to the case.
Although they may have been produced in slightly different finishes (All stainless; stainless + gold two-tone, all SGP, gunmetal two-tone, etc.), this same elliptical bezel and non-concentric case design is used across the whole range: 7A38-7240; -724A; -7250; -725A; -7260 and -726A.
It's not uncommon for bezels to have been replaced mis-aligned, as there is no locating key. However (and this applies to all similar fixed 7Axx decorative bezels), when it is located correctly, the thumbnail bezel removal notch will be aligned with top left hand case lug. ;)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Also kind of strange to this 7A38-7260 is there was no factory bracelet listed for it. Only Leather straps and all the pictures I have found do only show leather straps.
True. But the -7240 / -724A / -7250 / -725A did come factory fitted with bracelets. All were pretty cheap and nasty, with particularly weak first joining link design, which is why you'll often find these fitted with replacement bracelets or leather straps.

·
Registered
885 Posts
So I move on and then find this one. Nice condition but now the two bezel peaks are at clearly at 5 and 11?
Nope - That one's fine. Optical illusion. :p

Check out the seller's 4th photo and you'll see what I mean by the alignment of the thumbnail slot ....

Finally I found one that had the bezel in the correct placement. perfectly lined up at the 3 and 9 position for a German seller.
Yup - and if you check out the equivalent photo in that german eBay listing you'll see it's the same place. ;)

So obviously I can fix mine by carefully removing the bezel and reinstalling it ....
You don't want to do that if you can possibly avoid it. The white nylon gasket between the bezel and case used on the 7A38-724x / -725x / -726x range is slightly shallower to that used on the 7A38-727x's and 7A38-728x's and easier to pinch / kink / damage. Here's a tip. Try using a 'sticky ball' (pushed down hard on the crystal) to rotate your bezel to the correctly aligned position instead.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I never ready the article about the funny bezel on the 7260 on the 7A38 site I would have never known. I like my watch so much I do not want to take any chances of damaging anything. I did notice for that model in the parts list there are three different leather straps. The leather strap on mine is a very nice quality but it does not have a Seiko clasp. I know sometimes Seiko did use Leather straps from other manufactures. It makes me wonder if my strap is original.
I also am curios why majority of them do not have the face seated in the inner bezel notch correctly. Mine is not lined up either though it is closer than some of the pictures. You can see a slight gap at about the 2 position. You can see the gap on mine and most of the others. The one from Italy looks like a real beater and asking $100 US for a parts watch is pretty crazy if you ask me.

Michael

·
Registered
885 Posts
Correction to my earlier statement .....

What I wrote on here a couple of years back isn't strictly 100% true, so having just checked Seiko Oz's database, I thought I ought to put the record straight, even though this really is 'anorak level' detail. :p

Forget the stainless one (Seiko p/n 82343109) - I'm just talking about the gold-plated elliptical bezel used on the 7A38-724x / -725 / -726 range - there are actually two subtly different parts:

P/n 82343101 is used on the 7A38-724A, 7A38-7240, 7A38-726A and two-tone and SGP variants of 7A38-7260.

P/n 82343121 is used on the 7A38-725A and 7A38-7250.

The difference being that the former is bright polished all over and the latter has a matt, lightly brushed top surface. :cool:

Although they may have been produced in slightly different finishes (All stainless; stainless + gold two-tone, all SGP, gunmetal two-tone, etc.), this same elliptical bezel and non-concentric case design is used across the whole range: 7A38-7240; -724A; -7250; -725A; -7260 and -726A .....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts