The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
30,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
little problem, the owner had a trip-lock crown fitted but unfortunately who ever did it dident really get it right :(

The main problem was that the crown sat so deep into the case that it was almost impossible to use it and you ran the risk of ripping your nails off into the bargain, I think the owner was getting to the point he was going to "mod" it with a sledge hammer :)

Apart from the fact the crown was too small the case really needed to be machined to accept the mod but it wasent (I havent machined the case either).

So over a week or so I modded the triplock crown to accept a extension piece(tricky little bugger) and machined it very similar to the TST Big crown.

Not perfect as I would/should really have machined the case but 100% better than it was IMO but i wouldent now dive with it :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
What did you think of the watch as a whole John?
I really like the look of these but wondered if they were perhaps manufactured to meet too low a price point - is the quality of finish up there with the Tuna?

·
Administrator
30,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't remember what the price was Miles but they are not in the same class as a Tuna IMO.

The one I have been playing with runs very strong, hacks, hand winds.

Depends on price.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I have one of these, it's a very nice watch. I got mine with an extra bezel insert, an extra pair of hands, and delivered to the plains of the USA it was ~$550. Without those extra items it would have probably been closer to $500 delivered.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I was after an Albacore but missed the boat and had to buy a SBBN instead. Tuna Cans do cost a lot more but the quality is worth it.

·
Special Member
4,786 Posts
I was after an Albacore but missed the boat and had to buy a SBBN instead. Tuna Cans do cost a lot more but the quality is worth it.
Good turn of events for you because the sbbn is much much better, not that I own one but because all the love it gets. I'm the not so proud owner of the one John fixed, and like he said I was frustrated. The crown stopped screwing in not much after I got it, felt like the threads had stripped off and that's why I had the crown assembly replaced. It doesn't stop there; the bezel is super hard to turn, poor machining/finish on the case between lugs, the 12 and 6 o'clock indices on the dial are crooked, screws on the albacore bracelet keep coming off. I agreed with John each time he would mention to me that the whole watch had a cheap feel and in my head I'm going "thank you! May I please have another?
It does however, have the un branded version of the 4r36 (I think), the same movement on the second generation monster which hacks and hand winds.
If I remember correctly, I paid about $500 with the sapphire and ss albacore bracelet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts