The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a while since I've posted here and I think that the last time I did, it was in relation to the same thing!

At that time I had (and still have) a Seiko "Navigator" which required a much-needed service and someone here kindly directed me to Peter Kuhn, in Condoblin, NSW, here in Oz.

I now have the need for a watchmaker for a similar job but it appears that Peter has either retired or moved away.

The watch that needs repairing (the balance-wheel hairspring has broken, from what I can see) is a "World Time" 6117 which in most other respects is in fine order.

Is it possible that someone here can service/repair this watch or does any member have someone they can recommend?

Thank you for any advice.

Regards,
Bruce
Personal email is bhkAToutlookDOTcomDOTau

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I think anzac1957 is based in New Zealand actually.
And he (Tony) regularly posts that he gives the watches he finds to his watchmaker for repair (but I'm sure he can give you his / her name)

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
hey get in touch with Tritto...he lives in that area or Try BrianG as he lives there too...they should know who to contact for great service...God Bless John

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I can recommend my local guy in Hobart and can give you his number if you want it. He used to work at the Seiko service centre in Sydney many years ago and he know his way around a vintage Seiko. Sorry, I can't recommend anyone in NSW, but I'm sure there are other members who will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hi Bruce.
There are 2 places in Sydney that I know, Sydney Vintage watch and Smith & Smith in Sydney. The Smiths were recommended by Seiko and all are on google.
Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
thank you guys for helping out...you are the best...God Bless John

Reactions: tritto

·
Registered
776 Posts
Sad to hear PeteK is not available also. I hear he is a worldwide legend in the Seiko world. Any word on him anybody?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi Bruce.
There are 2 places in Sydney that I know, Sydney Vintage watch and Smith & Smith in Sydney. The Smiths were recommended by Seiko and all are on google.
Cheers,
Brian
Thanks muchly, Brian.
Curious about the name "Smith"....when I first went to Canberra in 1984 the local Seiko watchmaker was a Smith.
Anyway, I'll get in touch with them.

BTW - Are the crabs marching yet? :)

Regards,
Bruce

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can recommend my local guy in Hobart and can give you his number if you want it. ....
Yes, please.
The more to be able to choose from the better it is when something needs major work.

Could you please text it to me?
0447 020 920

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I believe that member anzac1957 is a watchmaker in Aus . Look him up in the members list . Good Luck...
Appreciate the thought, but while I tinker I am not a watchmaker and live in New Zealand..

Just for the record the Sydney Harbour Bridge doesn't reach New Zealand.. apparently it was an answer given by a High School student in a geography exam.. :eek:hmy:

Cheers

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It might be worth while to look a bit for a good running and appropriate 61xx parts watch. the movement guides in the reference section can help you match part numbers. The balance assembly will drop right in, along with many other parts if needed. this can help minimize cost and time waiting for/trying to locate parts. I believe at least some versions of the 6119 and 6106 share the same balance And can be found quite reasonably.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It might be worth while to look a bit for a good running and appropriate 61xx parts watch.....
Thank you for the suggestion, sir.
Funny thing is....this was a "parts watch"! :)
I sold the good one a week or so ago and thought I'd at least see what was involved in getting this one repaired.
Everything else about it is good....original, nice stainless, nice crystal.
I'd like to hold onto it if the cost isn't totally off the planet.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hi hcrun , is your watch similar to this one ? I kinda inherited it from a swap meet seller acquaintance that got it and didn't know what it was...to be honest , I didn't either so I had to do some homework on it . I did a little work on one of his watches and it ended up in my hot hands . It looks much better than my crummy pics .

DSC00009.JPG

DSC00013.JPG

·
Registered
776 Posts
Thanks muchly, Brian.
Curious about the name "Smith"....when I first went to Canberra in 1984 the local Seiko watchmaker was a Smith.
Anyway, I'll get in touch with them.

BTW - Are the crabs marching yet? :)

Regards,
Bruce
Yes mate the crabs have been and gone. Record year this with the best run in 15 years. The little buggers were in my house this time and I still get the occasional one.

There are some good shots on the CITA (Christmas Island Tourist Association) site.

Also the Smiths have been around for years and are Seiks servicing guys.

Good Luck
Brian

·
Registered
461 Posts
Id be inclined to source another parts movement for a new balance, then if you arent confident swapping out a balance atleast then you already have the part for a smith to install for you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts