The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently returned from Hawaii and these are the watches I used for Diving and Dining.
Diving:

Other Land Activities:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sweet! This post makes me want to take up underwater photography.

I have the OWC done, but never got around to photos.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Cool! Very nice pictures!

Good watches too!

I always wonder how these wonderful underwater pictures were taken, because i have never gotten any good pictures while snorkeling using my underwater camera.

Cheers,

Vincent

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool! Very nice pictures!

Good watches too!

I always wonder how these wonderful underwater pictures were taken, because i have never gotten any good pictures while snorkeling using my underwater camera.

Cheers,

Vincent
Well, Vincent seeing as I am named Vincent as well I will tell you some things that helped me quite a bit this time.

I have been using a Canon G10 in a Canon WP series underwater housing for a few years now with some good results and many not so good. I mostly relied on taking massive amounts of pictures and hopefully getting a few good ones. And that worked OK in the past.

I have made diving, snorkeling and Snuba dives around the Caribbean, Australia's Great Barrier Reef and Hawaii and have some pretty good pictures from most of those locations.

This time I decided that I needed more light and brought along a diving light but on the Molokini dive I rented a video light from the photographer on the dive ship. My Housing does not have a connection for a strobe so I just left the video light on all the time when I was shooting. I ended up with much better results this time with probably 80% of the pictures being good. The photographer told me that the light costs about $700 which is as much as my camera and housing were together, but maybe it is worth it; so I am looking into it now.

Next summer is the Mediterranean Sea cruise from Spain to Istanbul.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well, Vincent seeing as I am named Vincent as well I will tell you some things that helped me quite a bit this time.

I have been using a Canon G10 in a Canon WP series underwater housing for a few years now with some good results and many not so good. I mostly relied on taking massive amounts of pictures and hopefully getting a few good ones. And that worked OK in the past.

I have made diving, snorkeling and Snuba dives around the Caribbean, Australia's Great Barrier Reef and Hawaii and have some pretty good pictures from most of those locations.

This time I decided that I needed more light and brought along a diving light but on the Molokini dive I rented a video light from the photographer on the dive ship. My Housing does not have a connection for a strobe so I just left the video light on all the time when I was shooting. I ended up with much better results this time with probably 80% of the pictures being good. The photographer told me that the light costs about $700 which is as much as my camera and housing were together, but maybe it is worth it; so I am looking into it now.

Next summer is the Mediterranean Sea cruise from Spain to Istanbul.
Aaaahh! Lighting, of course.

I always felt that even under a bright sun, and while I was only snorkeling (at most 3 to 5 feet under water), pictures would not come out great - too dark or muddy feel, and blurred (shaky hands or, now I know, not enough lights).

The camera I used is a P&S under $200, including camera and housing, bought from a company based in Honolulu. Can't quite remember the name of it. That might also contribute to the poor quality of pictures. First try of underwater photography anyway.

Thanks for the tips. Though I could not see how I justify the cost of owning a good underwater lighting source. Maybe, as you did, rental is a good option when I get serious.

Cheers,

Vincent

1 - 8 of 8 Posts