The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Do I need a watch winder?

That's a question. If you have several Rolex mechanical watches, you must need one kind of watch winder to make your mechanical watches keep running when it wasn't worn. It's really necessary. However, if you only have one Rolex mechanical watch, it's also crazy that you have got to keep this precious watch's time accurate every day, you have to pay attention to your watch's time every day, and have to adjust it sometime. It's really not convenient for your daily life. Actually, I believe that most person would be very insane about this daily thing have got to do. In addition, automatic watch winder is also a very delicate watchbox to place your mechanical watches nicely. It's really beautiful and delicate.
That's more of an Ad than a blog entry. ;) And "If you have several Rolex mechanical watches"... Well, I guess you'd know about watch winders by then.

Regarding the watch winders: They are only necessary if you have more than one watch, and you absolutely have to have them wound and ready to go at any time.

See, most of us here have more than one watch (right guys?), but they are mostly vintage pieces in my case. Keeping a watch running will put wear on the parts, whereas storing the watch wound down will at most dry up the oils (if stored for a looong time).

So I'd rather have to do the work of getting the watch set up every morning (winding it with the "Seiko shuffle", as most have no hand-winding capability and setting the date and time), than having them rotate uselessly for days or weeks on the winder, essentially making them "worn" every day.

So you decide. From what I read in your post, its your first mechanical watch (and the others are quartz, maybe)? Do you want to rotate your watches without setting the mechanical one if you didn't wear it for two or three days? Then get a winder.
Or do you only want to wear it on a few occasions and it would only see your wrist on the weekend? I'd advocate agains a winder in this case, as it would wear your watch down a lot faster than keeping it wound down in your box and setting it when you need it.

A standard ETA2824-2, worn every day, will need a service after 4-5 years. If you keep it unwound for half the week, you can add a few years to that. And if you wear it from time to time, I don't think you'd need to worry about the oils.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's more of an Ad than a blog entry. ;) And "If you have several Rolex mechanical watches"... Well, I guess you'd know about watch winders by then.

Regarding the watch winders: They are only necessary if you have more than one watch, and you absolutely have to have them wound and ready to go at any time.

See, most of us here have more than one watch (right guys?), but they are mostly vintage pieces in my case. Keeping a watch running will put wear on the parts, whereas storing the watch wound down will at most dry up the oils (if stored for a looong time).

So I'd rather have to do the work of getting the watch set up every morning (winding it with the "Seiko shuffle", as most have no hand-winding capability and setting the date and time), than having them rotate uselessly for days or weeks on the winder, essentially making them "worn" every day.

So you decide. From what I read in your post, its your first mechanical watch (and the others are quartz, maybe)? Do you want to rotate your watches without setting the mechanical one if you didn't wear it for two or three days? Then get a winder.
Or do you only want to wear it on a few occasions and it would only see your wrist on the weekend? I'd advocate agains a winder in this case, as it would wear your watch down a lot faster than keeping it wound down in your box and setting it when you need it.

A standard ETA2824-2, worn every day, will need a service after 4-5 years. If you keep it unwound for half the week, you can add a few years to that. And if you wear it from time to time, I don't think you'd need to worry about the oils.
thank you bro, it really helps

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
IMHO you don’t really need a winder unless you have 3+ automatics. With 1-2 you’re daily wear should be enough to keep it powered. Most newer watches have a minimum 40 hour power reserve, so if you got 2 and you alternate wearing them, they be wound all the time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You will overuse your watches if you let them in the winder especially if your watch need servicing but you don't know it yet.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
NO. Waste of money etc :(

A decent watch in decent condition will go well with a few shakes, set on time and away you go :)

Oil in a watch will degrade whether it's in a winder or sitting still.

They're a have :(

The cheaper ones (and who in their right mind would spend say $1200 on one....) will wear the motors out over the years if used a lot.

I have a Bergeon watchmaker's one - because I'm a watchmaker and am testing customer's watches.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
It's one thing to wear your automatic watch 24x7x365 and get the time telling use out of it but to put it or them on an automatic winder and put the watch through all that extended use for the simple purpose of not having to reset the time and date on the 3rd day is misguided at best. Can a quality timepiece run for 10 years, yes. Should it have to if your aren't wearing it ? I think not ! Give it a rest from time to time and I think you may find that some of the higher end watch wonders have several settings. Clockwise, counter clockwise and rest. Dont wear your timepiece out prematurely for the simple act of convenience. Its ultimately up to you in the end, I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You don’t need a watch winder unless you want to speed up the wear and tear on your movement. Imagine your watch is moving 24x7 non stop. The most you want to do is use the winder once a week for a few hours. I would rather wear them for a few hours inside the house and keep them moving.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I had winders at first because of the convenience but the more I learned about watches, I realized that putting it on a winder just adds unnecessary wear and tear.

·
Banned
1,394 Posts
What Mr Jones said.
Automatics with 48+ hours of power reserve are always handy if you end up wearing something else for the weekend.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I got a 3 watch winder box with clear glass lid and front for Christmas a couple of years back. It ran beautifully for a year then stopped. Its now a pretty watch storage box. Still serving a purpose for 3 of my watches, just not what its original intended purpose was anymore. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts